E.G. Emeritus asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Why don't baseball teams line up to shake hands with their opponents after a championship series?

Other sports - football, hockey , even boxing - offer congratulations to the winners and consolation to the losers. In soccer, they even exchange jerseys as a sign of respect. This business of the winning team lining up to exchange high-fives with themselves that marks the end of MLB games is really unsportsmanlike and embarrassing.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Dodgers and Cardinals did in 2004, but that's the only one I can think of (other than All-Star Games).

The lesser sports have more players on the field. A baseball team is much less collected -- at the end of a game, the offensive team has at most four players on the diamond, the outfielders are a long way off, the relievers are in their bullpens, some guys may already be back in the locker room (the freedom of single substitution)... it takes a few minutes to get everybody together. And it's just not something Done in baseball.

It could start being a new tradition someday, perhaps. Goodness knows baseball is downright topheavy with traditions young and old, more than a few of which are long overdue to die off and go away.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It would be nice to watch them line up in two columns to shake hands like I've watched in high school football after the game. Baseball players probably would do the same if the practice of the winning team piling upon each other is discontinued.

I think piling upon each other (is there a term for it?) after a win looks very unsportsmanlike.

• 1 decade ago

The Dodgers did a few years ago. They'd just lost and went out to shake the other team's hands. Dodgers are a class act.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the players are not supposed to shake hands after the game in baseball. i dont think its unsportsmanlike though because after i loose a game i dont want to have to shake hands with the people who beat me. it almost feels like they are rubbing it in even when they say good game.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It is not unsportsmanlike. If the players lined up to shake hands, the losing players would get jealous, and start fights. It would be to risky if they had both teams shake hands!

• 1 decade ago

Why, for goodness sakes, do we need another touchy-feely moment in sports. Can't the winners just enjoy their moment? Why must everything end in a big group hug? This isn't pre-school.

• 6 years ago

i bought from this site last week

http://www.mlbjerseyoutlet.com

• 1 decade ago

cause the roid rage would start alot of fights

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They should.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.