Can The Canadian Police Break My Door Down If I Dont Answer It ?

My neighbours are always calling the police on me for no reason they are new people and i have lived here for many years now i dont know what their problem is with me but the last time the police came here i told them very clearly i dint not want them to come in he said im coming in anyways and i asked him where his warrant was and he said he dint have one that i could just talk to his supervisor anyways he came in so the i havent called about that cause i dont know if he had a right to or not but the next time they call and i know they will they always do i dont want to answer my door because i really sick of dealing with cops that think im like the bad one just because of the constant calls to them so what should i do im going to loose it here pretty soon i dont know what to do please help me out and thanks so much

Favorite Answer

It is best that you answer the door. Tell the officer that you want to make out a harassment complaint on your neighbor because they call the police on you with no reason. Tell them that you need documentation so you can take them to court and sue them and get a judgment against them and a restraining order!

I realize that its annoying that your neighbors continue to call the cops on you, but that is not the cops fault. Do yourself a favor, if you really aren't violating the law, it is better to make nice than to irritate the police officer. Next time they come by, anwser the door, ask what the problem is, maybe make a joke about how its getting ridiculous, ask the officer if you have recourse for the neighbor continue to harrass you through the police, and make a comment about how you wish that your neighbors wouldn't keep wasting their time. I get so aggrevated when people feel like the cops are the enemy in this situation, they aren't they are doing their job, your neighbors are the problem, being difficult with the police just makes your neighbors seem right, cooperate and they are more likely to be on your side. Seriously, they are just doing their job.

Now all that is assuming that you are being truthful and aren't doing anything that warrents the continued calls. And yes, the police can break your door down if they feel you are an imminent threat (i.e. they have probable cause).

• Dave F

If you know that you're not doing anything wrong, then why would you avoid answering the door? The Police turn up because they "have to" it's not to hassle you. The problem is not the police, it's your neighbours. Do what the police ask, get them on-side with you, let them in for a chat (unless you have something to hide) and give them your side of the story. If police notice your car in the driveway, and nobody is answering the door - that could be circumstances for them to break in to "check on your welfare". Seriously, save yourself and just answer the door!

• MAK

It's very hard for the police to obtain a warrant-simply do not open the door or ask through the door if they have a warrant. Even if they were coming to actually arrest you-they cannot forcefully enter your home until you open the door unless they believe you or someone else is in danger.

First of all, please throw in a couple of commas and periods into your sentences, OMG that's hard to read.

You do not have to open your door to the police and do not have to answer it. They only way they will break the door is if they have an entry warrant or if they have exigent circumstances (someones safety at risk is an example of exigent circumstances). Nothing is stopping them however to keep coming back everyday to try to talk to you. It is better just to deal with it.

Source(s): Canadian Copper

they cannot, here's what you can do next time...

the officers are probably just as pissed about being called there all the time as you are dealing with the stuff. get them on your side.

let them in and talk about what the problem is, if its loud music or something stupid like that, just by them being in the hall, they'll know its just a pissing contest. if you're cooperative, they'll be more apt to help you get your neighbor off your back. choose your battles my son, and keep your allies in check.

who couldn't use a cop as a friend? lol.

really they cant break your door down with out a warrant but what can yea really do if they do they will just lie about something and who you gonna go run and tell the cheif of police they wont do a thing. The cops can do what every the hell they want they beat the hell out of my buddie once cuz he was drunk trying to break up a fight smashes his face off the ground put him in jail for the night and let him go the next morning and my buddie tried to press charges and nothing happened.

They can for several reasons -

Such as a life or safety issue

Exigent circumstances

You happen to be wanted or someone else on the other side of the door

possession of a warrant - for you or premises

• NiNes

if they have a warrent they can break down your door whether or not, but if the cop answer it im pretty sure you dont have to answer it if you didnt do nothing wrong.

Not without reasonable and probable cause. If they heard banging around, glass breaking, screamong, that would be probable cause. Also if you're known to be suicidal and your family or friends haven't heard from you that's another reason. We can't just muscle our way in with no good reason. That is guaranteed to you by the Constitution. (1982)