mithril asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Was Elvis the first rock star to have a movie career?

• Jim T
    Best Answer

Mario Lanza was an opera singer who did a series of movies before Elvis. So did Dean Martin, although you might argue he was a film star before a music star.

Bing Crosby was a singing star who then went into movies in a big way. He was in movies in the 1930s and 40s. Frank Sinatra had a long and successful movie career including many straight parts where he did not sing.

As far as 'rock' stars rather than popular singers is concerned, many of them appeared in Hollywood shows as themselves. Movies such as Dont Knock the Rock starred Bill haley, Big Bopper etc.

I think Elvis was the first extremely popular music artist to have a successful movie career. : )

I think Bill Haley may have been in movies before Elvis, but I could be wrong.

Yes, just look at all the movies he stared

Where he is actually playing a role and not just up their being himself, yes.