Excel to Access Data Transfer - Question?

Transferring Excel data to Access Table.

Excel column contains 9 characters per cell. Eg. 102000000 However some of the cells contain letters Eg. 10R000000

Access is just creating errors for the values which include letters.

The cell format in Excel is set to 'general' rather than text or number.

Do I need to change my cell format in Excel before importing the data to Access? What should it be?

Thanks in advance!

• Lucy
    Best Answer

If the column can contain letters, you should format the column as text in Excel. Also, when you're importing the file into Access, make sure that you choose Text as the data field type (you can do that by clicking Advanced and setting the data type as Text). If you do not set the data field type as Text, Access assumes that the column you are importing has the same format as the first record it encounters while importing. That means if the first record doesn't have a letter, it assumes that they're all numbers. By designating the data field type, you can make sure that it knows that column is text.

Source(s): I program tools using Access and Excel.

Change the Field from Number to Text in Access and it should work.