Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

My mechanic told me I need to replace my muffler bearings, and it's going to cost me $250 dollars....?

Is this a fair price to pay?

LOL Magz!

Aww the people in Cars are surprisingly nice. :o) hehe

Best Answer

I haven't heard that one in years. Ah, what happened to the old Kanootin Valve?

And making prank calls to parts stores asking for radiator hoses for VW Beetles?

• Laura

There are no bearings in the muffler. That used to be an old joke. Tell the mechanic that you can use "2 feet of water line" instead of the muffler bearings. This guy was either joking, or he is trying to rip you off. Take the car somewhere else and get another "real" opinion.

• Sam

Get a second opinion in a reputed garage. This cost seems to be on the higher side. BTW, what is a muffler bearing? Also, what is the make of the car? I am hearing this for the first time in my life!

Please refer:

1. Long sought after, Kale Automotive finally provides a source for quality replacement muffler bearings. They also offer performance parts like crossdrilled ...

http://www.metafilter.com/48328/The-elusive-muffle...

2. Ever heard of a muffler bearing? (joking) of course.? - Yahoo! AnswersEver heard of a muffler bearing? (joking) of course.?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200610...

ROFL, sorry but don't ever go to that mechanic again, hes ABSOLUTLY ripping u off, mufflers don't have bearing, and they never willl, all a muffler is, is a bunch of little walls inside a container, nothing inside moves.

and 250 bucks for a WHOLE NEW MUFFLER is expensive, u could get a whole new exhaust system for that price.

This ranks right up there with looking for a bucket of prop wash...Your mech is pulling your chain...(FYI - a muffler is an acoustic device and does not have bearings.)...Ask him to show you where a muffler bearing is in the parts catalog.

Muffler Bearings or Muffler Gaskets? Sweetheart there are NO muffler Bearings in any vehicle. There are however Gaskets that are used to connect the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold. Please watch out.

• ?

Hey just make sure they check the 710 cap as well. I have heard that many mechanics have neglected doing this.

UNLESS U have an Airplane engine in your car - eye [wood] pass !! ANYWAY they are called Muffler Bushings !! 2 b exact !!

Be sure to get him to look at the Flux Capacitor too!

haha, that 'mechanic' has no business being near ANY machine, period, Be sure to kick him in the crotch too!

Source(s): he deserves a kick to the crotch!

Just make sure you request the lube job before they insert the shaft. You don't want to damage anything in the undercarriage.