Why are missing people called Jane Doe?

Did they name it after a missing person or something? Girls are Jane and Guys are John right?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

not just any missing person but a found person who doesn't know who they are and has no identification. why they chose the names joe and john i don't know.

• 1 decade ago

I don't think missing people are called Jane Doe-'cos their family know their name and look for them-but an unidentified dead person is called a Jane or John Doe

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

missing people aren't necessarily called Jane Doe, now people who have died and have not been identified are called Jane Doe!

• 1 decade ago

I work in Yosemite, and when I see a female deer, I tell my group that she just appeared there one day, nobody knew where she came from, so we called her Jane Doe.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

because Jane Doe is still missing.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well...there's "Plain Jane", so maybe it's just a general name, but one that isn't used often.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i thought that is what they called people who have died and they dont know there names.... I could be wrong. I thought missing people were usually called by name so people can help find them...

• 1 decade ago

For Uniformity in All Police Agencies...!!

• Morq
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

LOL werewolf's answer..

Unfortunately, I do not know

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.