Passport to get into mexico?

some people say you need a passport to get into mexico and some say you just need a birth certificate. im driving into mexico

Best Answer

Short and CORRECT info...If you FLY to Mexico you must have a passport...been that way since Jan. 2007. For LAND and SEA travel...no passport needed til SUMMER 2009...not 2008. See site below and read carefully. For LAND travel now you need a photo I.D. and proof of citizenship...either a passport OR birth certificate. There ia a LOT of misinformation around on this...so read for yourself.

• cleora

You don't need a passport YET to return to the U.S... there are BIG SIGNS on the Mexican side of the boarder stating the requirement for U.S. citizens to have a passport have been moved back to June 2009.. so you should be OK. As for needing a passport to ENTER Mexico... I have made several trips into Mexico since the first of the year and, even though I have a passport.. I was NEVER ASKED FOR IT when I entered Mexico...

You can check out the requirements at the US Department of State.

Requirements are different based on age, and WHEN you plan to go. After July 1 you will need a Passport to get BACK IN the US. Until then you need approved IDs...they just reduced the number of acceptable ones...and the birth certificate needs to be NOTARIZED, not just a photocopy.

Your are not going to be able to bring your car past the 30km checkpoint. In other words you can freely go back and forth usually without having to get out of your vehicle..

If you are planning to go deep in to Mexico you will need a passport and best to have a credit card for a temporary permit, always good for 180 days.

You will also have to pay for a FM T tourist visa, sometimes refereed to as a "Card" but it is in fact a temporary "Visa"

Fiscal offices are not always where you cross.

I just asked a kid where the Fiscal building is and for a few bucks he jumped in and directed me there. Or there may be hombres waiting to hop in and help you find it for a good tip(well worth it) Not required but be sure to ask for car insurance. "Seguros para Auto"

Believe me you do not want to get in a serious accident here.

Minor ones can be negotiated on the spot and most of time before "Transitos" arrive -surely the most despised authorities . Offer up $5.00 to $15..usd for any traffic offenses you may experience.

Gringo

You must have a passport, the US laws were changed in 2007.

you don't need a passport if you are driving but you do need a birth certificate and drivers license

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_9...

You will need a passport.