What are the immigration policies in Israel concerning Gentiles?

I'm a Christian, and it's always been my dream to move to Jerusalem. The only Jewish relative I have is a great grandfather, and other than that, I am mixed with East Indian and American. As it is, right now I am a minor, and am going to begin studying Hebrew as of this summer.

If I need any paperwork or anything I would like to get it prepared and do whatever is necessary to make the most smooth arrangement possible.

Thank you very much and God Bless!

Best Answer

I think that Paper back Writer may be mistaken about one thing; I think that since you are Christian you are probably not eligible for Israeli citizenship under the Law of Return. (See the wikipedia link below.) However, Israel, like the US, allows anyone to become a naturalized citizen after three years of residency, on application to the Interior Ministry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_nationality_l...

And, of course, Zeno, Maya, and Galahad are quite wrong.

Thousands of Palestinians know how wrong they are, since they're applying for Israeli citizenship:

http://www.ynet.co.il/english/articles/0,7340,L-34...

It's relatively easy for a Gentile to immigrate to Israel... I have met several, and while you may not be able to get the absorption basket, getting an immigrant visa is about the same as if you were Jewish.

Just as thier are Muslims who live happily and peacefully in Israel, there are Christians who live there happily as well. And unlike the response up a little bit, which showed a lot of plain ignorance, if it weren't for the crazy Muslim fanatics, Jews and Muslims could actually live in peace. Just as Palestinian parents indoctrine thier kids to hate Israeli's I know plenty Israeli's (sadly) who do the same to thier kids.

Now I'm all pro-Israeli and will be dammed if my daughter doesn't grow up to respect all, Christian, Jew, and Muslim.

• karst

“The tragedy of the folk of Palestine is that their usa grew to become into "given" via a foreign places capability to a diverse people for the introduction of a sparkling state. the consequence grew to become into that many hundreds of hundreds of harmless people have been made completely homeless. With each and every new conflict their numbers better. How lots longer is the international prepared to undergo this spectacle of wanton cruelty? it is amply sparkling that the refugees have each and every stunning to the fatherland from which they have been pushed, and the denial of this stunning is on the middle of the continued conflict. No people everywhere contained in the international might settle for being expelled en masse from their very own usa; how can anybody require the folk of Palestine to settle for a punishment which no person else might tolerate? an enduring in basic terms settlement of the refugees of their fatherland is an significant element of any actual settlement contained in the middle East. we are frequently instructed that we could sympathise [sic] with Israel through suffering of the Jews in Europe on the palms of the Nazis. [...] What Israel is doing immediately won't be able to be condoned, and to invoke the horrors of the previous to justify those of the present is gross hypocrisy.” —Bertrand Russell, 31 January 1970 nonetheless actual immediately, although i might upload that basing their declare to the land on religious texts does not in any way make it greater lifelike. The existence of Israel, much less US help for it, is appalling.

Maya is right; only jews may immigrate. Paperback dodges the issue by referring to christians who already live there. If you think you can immigrate without converting,go ahead and try.

You don't have to be Jewish to immigrate, there are both Jews and non-Jews who immigrate every year. However, check either the Knesset website, http://www.knesset.gov.il/ or check the Ministry of Foreign Affairs site, http://www.mfa.gov.il/MFA.

• Zeno

I gather the jewish respondents did not understand the question. Paperback for example seems to have missed the word "immigration". The question was not how many non-jews live in Palestine,the question was - in essence - do you have to be jewish to immigrate there? The answer is yes. Just check the website for Israeli immigration.

I may be wrong but I THINK under the Law Of Return, anyone with a Jewish grandparent can make aliyah and become a full citizen... If I'm wrong, I'm sure some Israelis will correct me :)

Even if you don't qualify under that category, you can still apply for citizenship.

Jerusalem is magical :)

Good luck with your Hebrew :)

EDIT TO ASKER

- Given that MAYA has never set foot in Israel, and that she repeatedly tells lies about it, do ignore her.

Around 30% of Israeli citizens are NOT Jewish.

The reason why millions of Israeli Arabs STAY in Israel rather than moving to Arab nations is precisely BECAUSE in Israel everyone has equal rights - no matter what their religion.

DYLAN - you would NOT be a 'misfit' there. Israel is home to Jews, Christians and Muslims.

EDIT TO ZENO

I understood the question perfectly. And if you'd bothered to read my post, I answered the question.

Non Jews can and do emigrate to Israel and become citizens. I know several who have done so.

Clearly you know nothing about Israel other than the misinformation you are happy to take as 'fact'. Why don't you go and crawl back under that rock?

Man, it is my dream to go to Israel. I keep a half-sheqel in my wallet. it's my only connection to the deepest desire of my heart. i'm a Christian, I only speak english, and would be a misfit there. But man, to all in Israelis--> I pray for the peace of your country, dream about what it's like there, and I wish Jesus would come soon and redeem the remnant of Israel. God Bless Israel, and God Bless the Jews!!!

Maya is right. You have to be jewish to become a permanent resident.