North
North asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Has anyone read the two companion books of The Giver by Lois Lowry?

The books are Gathering Blue and Messenger. Were they as good as The Giver? I really liked it. Also, are they in any way related to The Giver or are they completely separate stories? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

whoa. i disagree. Granted, nothing can ever compare to The Giver. But Gathering Blue and Messenger are also great books.They are not just sequels - they can stand alone as young adult sci-fi futuristic novels. I've read Messenger twice. Try them and see for yourself.

Gathering Blue is a different story but with the same kind of futuristic theme. Some might say that it is the past instead of the future...

In The Giver the society is highly controlled--perfection almost.

In Gathering Blue the society is like early man--fighting and gruesome.

Messenger has both of the main characters from the first two books (Kira and Jonas). I've heard it's good, but I've never read it. Ever wanted to know what happened to Gabriel and Jonas after the sled-ride? Yeah... they explain it in this book.

--You might not want to read it if it's going to ruin whatever your imagination let happen

I hated Gathering Blue--it took me two months to crawl my way through it. It made me angry with Lowis Lowry even though I loved The Giver.

If you liked The Giver, there's a high possibility that you might like Gathering Blue and The Messenger.

I, on the other hand, hated The Giver and don't have any plan to read the two other books.

|<rypton

Dont read them. They're not as good. They'll make you wish you hadn't