Airplane fear?

I am going to go on an airplane for the first time in my life !!

Im scared to death!

What have been your experiences & were you as scared as I am?

• Mike W
    Best Answer

You'll find that flying on an airplane is not too different from sitting in your living room.

I think what frightens most people are the strange sensations and noises.

the noises will be when the engine starts up, when the flaps are extended and retracted (there's a hydraulic motor near the wing that makes a funny noise), when the landing gear comes up and down (the noise is the air noise around the gear, and the sound of the locks and doors opening and closing.

The sensation would be the acceleration when the airplane takes off - not unlike your sitting in a car when you stomp on the gas.

I could go on for a while.

If you're really concerned, tell the flight attendant that you're a first time flyer, and see if she (or he) can find an experienced flyer or a comuting crew member to sit with.

I've been flying for quite a few years, both as a passenger and as a pilot - over 40 or 50 thousand hours in the air. I'm sure you've heard the adage that it it safer to fly that getting to and from the airport, or crossing the street.

Enjoy the flight, the scenery is great!

First time I rode on an airplane I was 15 years old. My first impression were the clouds and much turbulence. This isn't necessary so with every trip though. Depending on what time of the day you travel. If it is early in the morning you will experience less turbulence than when you travel late in the day or afternoon. Either way it is no big deal. Cars go over bumps and potholes so the skies have something similar to it. Nothing dangerous to worry about. Just follow the safety instructions that the flight attendant will show you. Sit back and enjoy the clouds and the ride. Take something to snack on also like candy, chewing gum, chips. The airline will at least give you something to drink. Take a good book to read to pass the time.

I have the biggest fear of airplanes i know of. I flew a few times when i was younger (like, 3). and then last summer i flew for the first time in 15 years all the way to switzerland. (about a 7 and a half hour flight)

Are you flying with friends? If so, they might tease you for a little bit. I know my friends did. (And they plan to when i fly for senior trip next week) But if they do, just laugh it off. Itll relax you a little.

If youre flying alone. Good luck. I've been too scared to do that, but i have to this summer. Be absolutely greatful to everyone who's polite to you. If any of the flight attendents notices how nervous you are, and asks if your scared, DONT BE AFRAID TO SAY "YES!!!". Seriously, they'll treat you like royalty if they know how scared you are. THey did for me. Obviously, So long as youre not rude to them.

When i flew.. the worst parts were the take off and the landing. its really the only time you realize your flying. and theyre usually the bumpiest. but it only lasts a few minutes at most. You'll be okay. If its a long flight.. make sure you bring ALOT to do. If youre scared like i was, youll need a lot of stuff to distract you. and also, make going to the bathroom they absolute LAST thing you do before you board. seriously. since youre nervous, youll probably be like I was, and you wont want to leave your seat once youre in the air. (obviously, if its a 7 hour flight, youll eventually HAVE to go and youll work up the courage to stand up)

okay, sorry this is so long. Have a good flight. Don't think about it TOO much.

Source(s): I'm absolutely scared to death of flying.

I've flown for a long time. Had some bad flights but no big deal.

Here is some advise. Look around the plane and make note of the business people that look like they travel a lot. They are your key indicators. If you hear some weird noise, feel some strange vibration or bump, look at them and see if they are reacting. If they are going about their business, all is well and you have no need to worry.

Also, a few minutes before you land, they have to open the doors on the bottom of the plane so the wheels can go down. It can rattle your nerves and sound horrible, but it is normal so don't worry.

Enjoy the view and have fun, you will be fine.

When the airplane is ready to take off, just close your eyes, thinnk of the most relaxing and fun experience you have ever had, and before you know it you will be in the air, enjoying the view of the clouds.

There's nothing to worry about; I too was as scared as you the first time.

I was scared my very first time. My advice would be to get some gum and chew alot during take off so your ears dont pop. The ride was easy, but once we get up in the air I fall asleep everytime. The bigger planes seem to be the most easy. The smaller once you can feel the shake better but its over before you no it.

CALL A HAPPY NINJA HE WILL HELP

happy ninjas will take over the world and make everyone eat baby carrots

Source(s): RAINBOW MONKEYS
  • KJ

Planes are very safe. You have nothing to fear except the food.

• Phlow

Nothing to fear, just have fun.