Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

(PLZ HELP) I really want a pet rodant so im thinking gerbil?

r they hard\expensive to care for and is a 35 gal tank with wire lid good for 2??

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Gerbils are great pets. They're active, curious, and generally very friendly. They're very easy to care for, and pretty inexpensive to keep.

Gerbils are social, and should be kept in same-sex pairs. A 35 gallon tank sounds great for a pair, although, I would feel it's a bit big. However, it should be fine.

The best housing for gerbils is a tank with a lid. Stay away from pine and cedar shavings for bedding. I highly recommend aspen shavings. It's great for digging, holds up tunnels well, and masks odors well. Be sure you don't give anything plastic to the gerbils. They can and will chew it up. If sharp pieces are ingested, it could cause a blockage, tear internal organs, etc. Provide lots of wood and cardboard for them to chew, as their teeth are continuously growing.

If you have any more specific questions, or want more information, feel free to e-mail me. I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Source(s): gerbil owner
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I recommend mice as first rodents. They don't require a lot of space, and well-bred ones hardly ever bite. But you need to remember NEVER to put females and males together, they breed like crazy and you will end up with hundreds of babies. Either get just one male, or two or three females (females need friends, they get lonely. Males are fine by themselves, they will fight with other males). The tank you described sounds fine for 2 or 3 female mice. Just make sure they have a well-ventilated lid, good bedding (NOT pine or cedar--I use CareFresh), a little house, a water bottle, a ceramic food dish, and a wheel to play in.

Good luck, hope you find what you're looking for!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Rats are THE BEST. I have had many other pets but rats are smart, intelligent, fun. Rats clean themselves from head to toe about six times a day. They are the cleanest rodents.

Of all mammals, rats share the most physical similarities with humans excluding primates.

Domesticated fancy rats do NOT carry disease that can be transmitted to humans. All rat sicknesses are species specific.

Rats can be litter trained like cats very easily.

Rats are just as intelligent and sometimes even more so than dogs.

Rats can easily remember their name and can come when they are called.

Rats do not require alot of money to keep.

Rats are not aggressive at all unless they are mistreated and abused.

Rats do not require an expensive diet from the pet store.

Source(s): www.freewebs.com/raerats
  • 1 decade ago

listen i have many pets here is a list of all the friendly pets i have guinea pigs gerbil mice hamsters rabbits birds cats a dog really i like guinea pigs and gerbils a lot

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • i dont no much on gerbils but i know guinea pigs are great and so are rats and hamsters.

• 1 decade ago

if you want a gerbil, you need two otherwise they get mean and nasty. i perfer hamsters or rats

• 1 decade ago

gerbils are agressive and not generally friendly

i suggest a rat or a hamster

• CF_
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

http://www.gomestic.com/Pets/Usual-Pets-Rabbits.77...

http://www.gomestic.com/Pets/Usual-Pets-Guinea-Pig...

both make better pets than Gerbils or Hamsters...

aquariums make TERRIBLE cages - poor ventilation - they will stink

from either link you can see many other rodent/pet links by clicking the writers name...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.