I'm wondering how a dog's barking came to be called 'bow-wow-wow' ?

I've never heard a dog make a sound resembling 'bow-wow-wow'. I can understand 'woof-woof' or 'ruff' or even 'grrrrr-ufff'.

Favorite Answer

Have you ever had a bow wow? If you did, I think you'd know that, indeed, they go bow wow (if trained properly). Seriously, there is no good explanation for this--but what I always find interesting is that the purported sounds of animals is culturallly dependent and each language has its own version of what animals are supposed to sound like.

Some cultures claim that horses go "hee hee." I have never heard a horse talk (or laugh) like that, and of course we claim that they go "neigh neigh."

We claim cats go "Meow" but the French say "Miam," and even not pronouncing the last letter doesn't make it "meow."

But the most surprising is the Italian (and the French) who claim that a rooster goes "kikiriki." That's a far cry from "cocka doodle doo," but i t may explain why their cuisines are so much better than ours.

• morken

you have by no skill met a bloodhound then! till they're tree-barking, its continually a Bow-wow-wooww! maximum hounds sound like this, i think of. It relies upon on the form of a canine mouth, fairly. Jowls=Bow-wow sound.

no its not bow wow wow its . grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr .......grrrrrrrrrrrrruff.......but mostly its woof woof or whinnnnnnnnnnnnnne (let me out let me out) :0)

my doggie says arff! arff!

snoop dog says bow wow wow. he's not a real dog so he wouldn't know.

my dog say who let the dogs out who who who who