Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Christians, how can you expect us to be swayed by anything you say, when no 2 Christians can agree on doctrine

Every interpertation is different, even with the larger concepts like the trinity and hell. I mean, why do you bother? Shouldn't you work on agreeing with each other first?

Favorite Answer

That is exactly what Ive been saying for years...I am a christian..but, several christians are so hung up on doctrine that they forget the point. Anything outside of Gods love is pure conjecture and only placed in mans mind for the purpose of confusion. WE cant save anyone. We cant even save ourselves....but, we can be a good example of what God taught us. and shoving our personal opinions down someones throat..is NOT what God is about!

I agree that way too many people are so quick to call themselves "christians" for some reason or another. half are just "baptized" as babies and think they are "Life christians".. others try to apease others and change their "doctrine" to not make any one mad at them. Others use bands and entertainment with promises of a "good time" to get them into the door.

If you beleive that Jesus is the true son of God, and beleive what the bible teaches is sound doctrine. and follow it. you are a "True Christian".. Christian (Follower of Christ/Christ -like). Denominations are the Downfall of Christianity!..

I do not worship a pope nor preist.

I do not care what others think of me. I am not here to go to your "afterlife"...

Hi - Christian here. I'm not going to try to "sway" you towards anything. It's none of my business what you believe in. My beliefs are between me and God. I think that the people who try to sway others are standing on shaky belief structures. And there are so many different kinds of Christians that I'm not going to try to sway them either - what's the point?

Spirituality is about finding what's right for you and doing your best to live up to it. That's my personal business. What other people believe is their business.

Ohh no, we do agree on a lot of things, The Core Doctrine of Christianity even between Catholics and Protestants are the same, that being that God exist and that Jesus is the Son of God who took human Form and died for our sins.

As for why we have so many different denominations ?

The reason there are different denominations within Christianity is because the Bible allows for us to have differences of opinions. Within Christianity there are very few essential doctrines that define what it means to be a Christian. These essential doctrines are,

1. Jesus is both God and man (John 1:1,14; 8:24; Col. 2:9; 1 John 4:1-4).

2. Jesus rose from the dead physically (John 2:19-21; 1 Cor. 15:14).

3. Salvation is by grace through faith (Rom. 5:1; Eph. 2:8-9; Gal. 3:1-2; 5:1-4).

4. The gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus (1 Cor. 15:1-4; Gal. 1:8-9).

5. There is only one God (Exodus 20:3; Isaiah 43:10; 44:6,8)

6. God exists as a Trinity of persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. (See Trinity)

7. Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary (nature of incarnation)

As long as a church believes in these essential doctrines, then it is Christian. However, there are many things in the scriptures that have been interpreted in different ways. For example, what day of the week should be worship on, Saturday or Sunday? Should we baptize by sprinkling or baptize by immersion? Do we take communion every Sunday, once a month, or once a year? The answers to these questions do not affect whether or not someone is a Christian. It is in these issues, and others like them, that denominations are formed. It does not mean that one denomination contradicts another. It means that though they agree in the essentials, they differ in some nonessentials. This is permitted in Scripture:

"Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions. 2 One man has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only. 3 Let not him who eats regard with contempt him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats, for God has accepted him. 4 Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and stand he will, for the Lord is able to make him stand. 5 One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind," (Rom. 14:1-5).

Sadly, there is another reason for denominational differences and that is the failure of Christians to live according to the will of God. The truth is that we are all sinners and we do not see things eye to eye. It is an unfortunate truth that denominational differences are due to our shortsightedness and lack of love. But, the good thing is that God loves us so much that He puts up with our failures. There waits for us, in spite of our differences, a great reward in heaven. Neither salvation nor damnation is dependent upon our differences. Our salvation is based on our relationship with Christ.

They did for about 1400 years. The Protestants basically took Christian doctrine and separated from Rome, somehow thinking that the semantics of worship was of vital importance, and only they had the "True" message. Funny how they could do that if the Catholic Church had their book for the last millennium or so....

• I somewhat agree with you (as a Christian). Another way to think about it is for you to presently help 'Christians' find the point(s) that provide the link(s) of unity.

I don't think any group for any organization will ever totally agree on everything. not all christians think the same, same goes for republicans, democrats, gays, straights, men, women, blacks whites. We are all individuals and interpret things differently, that's what makes us human

OK, If you and your friend read the same History book. Would you both get the same thing out of it? OK, Is everyone the same. Come on? Are you serious here? We believe in God, that he sent his only begotten son who died on the cross for us. We believe in the ten commandments.We believe if we ask God to forgive our sins he will. Basic Christianity . Is it just so simple you cannot get it? God Bless.

The same can be said about Atheism or any other religion/spiritual practice. Last time I checked, the spectrum on Atheist prospective is just as large as the Christian one.

The bible can be open for interpretation, that's the beauty of it. And as long as we all agree that Jesus is the son of God (God in the flesh) and the he died for the world's sin so that we may have eternal life, I'm good.