Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

HP or Dell laptop?

I'm buying a new laptop for college and I'm torn between the two brands, but I'm leaning towards Dell because they give me more choice when choosing the specs...but I really know nothing about the reputations of both so I'm coming here for advice.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Dell are the best when buying laptop's under $1500, for reliability and for performance. You'll need to know a bit about laptops though, as their help support is atrocious.

HP laptops are very average, though.

It all depends on what you're willing to spend. If you're going to spend under $1500, buy a Dell laptop, or a HP one, if you know nothing about laptops. If you spend over $1500, get a Toshiba laptop if it's for work, or an Asus one if it's for gaming.

AMD is not as good as some people claim. If you play games, AMD is good for it's performance, and the fact that overclocking doesn't void their warranty. But AMD processors aren't nearly as reliable as Intel ones. Stick with Intel, even if you use laptops for gaming.

Source(s): A+ Certification Doing laptop repairs for a living (thankfully not anymore) Owning quite a few laptops
  • 1 decade ago

Ive had pretty good luck with both , in the corporate world we went with dell becasue of the support options , they would send repair people to our salesmen on the road. Both are good systems. Mostly a matter of can you find a HP you like on the shelf, or do you need to custom order from dell. Another laptop I like alot are the toshibas they are pretty bullet proof also .

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

HP, most definitely, they are more aimed at college kids like you, but HP is the better overall quality i think. Dell just sounds cheap and old, HP's look better and are slightly less cheaper because they are aimed at the college student who cannot afford something like an Alien Ware ect. ect.

Get an AMD processor also, since those are some of the most reliable (intel is ok too, theirs nothing wrong with it but AMD is most prefferable) lol

-happy buying!!

=D

-ken

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have got HP and my brother Dell of latest models, both are working fine without problems...plus we both have dual booth of Vista and XP...so which one to say bad or good...

that's why I give 50+50 = HP + Dell = good laptop brand

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Definitely Dell. You have to go with them. But! Be careful when purchasing Vista. I did right after it came out and it's pretty slow. But they've had major updates, so it's probably better. Try Inspiron laptops or Latitude laptops! Good luck!!

• 1 decade ago

Well, like you said, with either one you have a broad range of choices for the specs. If you were considering the monetary side, then Dell because they have a better warranty program.

• 1 decade ago

HP....

And make sure it has an AMD processor in it.

I've had my Compaq (now being built by HP) for over four years now. I've upgraded the hard drive and RAM myself...and it will be a long time before I give it up.

• Daz
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Neither. Go for ASUS brand, more reliable and better performance for your money.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.