Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Can you be charged with a crime without being arrested?

I was recently questioned by Alabama DEA because my boyfriends dad built a meth lab. They obtained a search warrant and searched my boyfriends room and found weed, a bong, grinder, and a few pipes. I admitted they were mine and they scared the hell out of me with the questioning. They want me to take some classes, which Im going to. But they never arrested me. They let me go home after a couple hours of horror. Can I be charged???

Favorite Answer

Yes, you can be charged without being arrested. All some one has to do is go to the DA's office with sufficient evidence.

Did you get a notice in the mail requesting mandatory court appearance? If so, you are charged but not convicted. So you are still inocent till proven guilty.

I would highly recomend that you get a public attorney or a lawer. She/he can give you the legal advice that you need. It may cost a pretty penny but considering the legal recourses it will be worth it!

In the future, PLEASE, PLEASE, never talk to a cop with out some one representing you. Dont admit to anything and don't say anything except that you want to see a lawer and simple information like your name and where you live ect. If you provide false info, such as your name, address, how many times you have been arrested, if you are on probation or parole, will get you charged. Thats info they will find out anyways so it's better to be honest. Other than that, don't say anything!

In my experiance, cops try and trick you in to saying that they will give you a break if you talk, BOLOGNA! Talk to a lawyer, he will give you the advice needed.

These are also SERIOUS alligations against your boyfriends dad. As a civillian I would also reccomend he get a lawer as well.

Hope this helps.

1

Source(s): Criminal Record Search Database : http://CriminalRecords.raiwi.com/?HWvE

Yes, I think they can still charge you, but chances are they aren't planning to do that or you would already know. They may be cutting you a break because you are taking those classes. I believe if they were going to charge you, it would have been when you said that paraphernalia was yours along with the weed. They were after much more than misdemeanor charges because they had found a meth lab. You were only small time to them. I think you lucked out by taking those classes. Make sure you actually go to them though. They will be watching you.

A person can be charged even without an arrest if a complaint is filed with the Prosecution Office and the evidence was strong.

You can be charged without being arrested, although I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen as often as being arrested first.

Yes, but based on what you described, you won't be charged. But do take those classes.