bpiguy
bpiguy asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Please translate "via ad oram silvae" from Latin to English and explain the grammar.?

Once upon a time (before I lived happily ever after) I took two years of high school Latin, learning about nominative, genitive, dative, accusative, ablative (sp?), and interrogative, but I can't remember it. I want the Latin equivalent of "Edgewood Street" (which may well be the cited phrase), and I'd like to understand the grammar. Thanks.

Thanks for "the road to the edge of the woods." How should "ad" be changed to make it become "the road at the edge of the woods"?

I want a road "at" (i.e., alongside) rather than "to." Thanks again.

Favorite Answer

This means "The road to the edge of the woods."

To make it " the road at the edge of the woods" you could say

Via in ora silvae

• crofts

quite 'the great undesirable wolf WHO got here out of the wooded area'. To personify the wolf in this way isn't basically an rather English way of writing, besides the shown fact that it makes it doubly frightening to the reader/listener!

I myself would prefer "labrum" (= "lip"), which is more general, to "ora" which has the connotations of seaside, rmouth of a river (rhotacised version of "os"="mouth")

If you want a place rather then a direction you have to use "in" + ablative ("in ora", "in labro") or you could use "per oram", "per labrum" = through the edge

Via secundum marginem silvarum.

That's 'Road along the edge of the woods'.

Secundum = along; takes accusative.

I used margo, marginis for edge - this seems to fit what you're looking for.

as near as i can figure it says street down to golden woods! I would only use this as a reference point, because i am not that good in latin yet.

Source(s): Life experience.