bpiguy
bpiguy asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Latin for "edge of the woods street"?

Thanks to both Haggesitze and Jeannie, I now understand that "via in ora silvae" translates as "road at the edge of the woods."

For aesthetic reasons, I'm not fond of using the preposition "in" as part of the address sign I'll commission. Suppose my sign reads, "DCCI Via Ora Silvae." Would an ancient Roman, teleported to the present, understand that to mean "701 Edge Wood (or Edgewood) Street?

I think I prefer "DCCI Via Ora Silvae" for my address sign, but I don't want to mangle the Latin grammar. What's your opinion? I'll appreciate.

Favorite Answer

The locative case is generally reserved for towns and small islands, and the correct form of it would be orae, not ora, so it does not apply here.

I have checked the relations of place in my grammar book, and place where is rendered by the ablative with in, referred to as the locative ablative. Places at, meaning near (not in), use ad or apud with the accusative.

I'm not quite sure how you could make via and ora work in apposition with each other in this particular instance. I agree that it would look better without the extra word, and according to my grammar the preposition was often omitted in poetry, so you could get by with using Via (nominative) Ora (poetic ablative) Silvae (genitive) for your sign. I think that would look nice.

Yes it would - for one thing Ora serves as both the locative(dative) and nominative singular, and I have a feeling that in names like this, the nominative in apposition would be used anyway.

i think its fine because its up to the translator to make the transition from what is literally there to what it actually means. so theyd prolly be like, 701 edge of the woods and then they would see street and it would make sense t them, especially because it cant be wood edge because the adj. is after it.