If a group of deer destroys a crop, are you allowed to shot them if you get permission from the game warden?

Favorite Answer

Probably not. The game warden doesn't have enough power to tell you that you can do this. I know because I'm a farmer that has the exact same problem. The only way that you can shoot them legally is to get a permit from the wildlife office. This permit will not allow you to shoot bucks but it will let you shoot does which will help the problem tremendously. I know from experience.

In Illinois you must apply for a nuisance license to kill deer on your property. Check with your state's natural resource or wildlife agency. I don't think a game warden can give permission since the state agency supplies permits.

If you have proof wildlife is damaging part of your crop all you need to do is ask permission or get a nuisance animal permit. But, you or someone in your family has to do the shooting. Otherwise it looks more like you are running a hunt camp.

• steve

if and only if you get permission from the game warden out of season yes but if you don;t and you do your in trouble

group? Deer are somewhat migratory animals, are you gonna kill every group that happens to walk into your crop field?

I think it would be smarter and more respectful to wildlife to figure out another solution, don't you? Deer are not particularly fond of dogs, every considering getting one? Is a fence that expensive to put up? A radio playing music might be all you need to scare animals away from area.

You are going to need some serious permission.

You have to report that to the game animals department in your country first. Instead of shooting you can frighten them to go away using hunting dogs.

you don't need permission to protect your crops from animals.

Source(s): wild boar is tasty bbq'ed