Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 decade ago

Would you live in a space colony at one of the La Grange points if the earth could no longer support life?

Or would you rather live on the moon or an asteroid or mars even?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The International Space Station is close enough to Earth that it is still protected from dangerous cosmic, gamma and x-rays by Earth's magnetosphere. That's why Astronauts can stay up there for 6 months or more. Unless the space hotels situated at these La Grange points are built of titanium or tungsten, with insulation made of graphite nanofibre, enriched with light hydrogen atoms, then radiation will most certainly be an issue.

On a planet/moon, a dynamo could be built. A dynamo creates the magnetic field which deflects gamma, x-ray and cosmic radiation. A magnetic field also protects any water from being photo-dissociated by solar uv, a process which strips hydrogen from water molecules while the solar wind blows them off into space. Mars once had flowing rivers, but lost all of its water and atmosphere due to photo-dissociation by solar uv. There are 166 moons in our solar system that need dynamos built into them to make them habitable.

Mechanical vibrations can provide the friction required to produce plate tectonic-like motion in the crust. If enough heat is generated thru this friction, magma may form and fall towards the core, reactivating the defunct dynamo. I'd bring a bunch of washing machines, jackhammers, Turbines, power tools and blenders up there to shake things up.

Alternatively, we can bore a shaft and pour in molten liquid iron/nickel/cobalt, add some polonium, radium, etc. and throw in some water and sodium (Na) for good measure. This ensures an eternal inferno is roaring deep down in the mantle to stoke a fire in the core. If all else fails, we'd have to install a Superconducting Ring (between 4 to 14 Tesla in strength, depending on how much iron/nickel is resident in the core to begin with) to artificially generate a magnetic field. The Ring runs on a persistent current which is estimated to last 10^23 years. It'd have to be sealed in a liquid helium tank much like an MRI machine.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

If the earth couldn´t support life anymore than why would a spacestation? Space colonists would have to scavenge resources from all over the solarsystem if they are to have a chance at survival. If they remain in one place they would be doomed.

Say earth for some reason becomes a dead world from radioactive fall out from a nuclear disaster and no resources could be obtained from earth humanity, would be in serious trouble. To supply a spacecolony, in a La Grange point or elsewhere, you need water, CO2, nitrogen and various minerals like phosphorus. A colony would need to allow for some growth in population. In a closed system, if no addition to basic supplies could be made, then the colony would face terrible decisions. The number of people living in it would be fixed. Suppose there is an unauthorized pregnancy? And even in a closed system there is some waste. The tiniest amounts of air and water lost due to even a small meteoroid impact could have severe consequences even if the leak is stopped quickly.

So the colonists would constantly need to find resources elsewhere. The moon might supply them with some minerals and even water. But there is no carbon and nitrogen on the moon. Mars has plenty of carbon, as much as earths atmosphere in fact, but nitrogen, that essential ingredient of life, is still scarce. Venus has as much nitrogen in its atmosphere as earth does only it isn´t exactly readily available. The only other source of nitrogen is Saturns moon Titan. The colonists would have to send probes there to bring some back. There is also plenty of carbohydrogen there which could be used to grow a colony. Some asteroids are very rich in carbon while comets are rich in water. They should also have nitrogen. So the colonists would truly have to be scavengers to survive.

And for the umpteenth time Flash ELECTROMAGNETIC RAYS ARE COMPLETELY UNAFFECTED BY MAGNETIC FIELDS!!! Your stupid dynamo would do NOTHING to make a dead rock livable.

• 1 decade ago

I would like to live on Vulcan and score me some pointy eared chicks

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'd have to build a sub-orbital spacecraft from junk I found lying around first.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No i was born here i will die here

• 1 decade ago

moon

moon

moon

moon

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.