Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsRespiratory Diseases · 1 decade ago

will an astmatic inhaler work if its expired?

Ive got to inhalers that I use during winter because my chest closes up and now that its winter I was wondering if my inhalers will work. My bricanyl inhaler is valid till november but my other inhaler which I use to prevent astma is expired 2006. I swear I bought it though in 2007 so will it still work? Both have plenty of puffs left but will they do nothing if expired?

note ive never had an astma attack Ive just had mild coughing an it effect me when I get a cold.

Best Answer

well mine physically works, as far as puffing out sprays, but the medicine don't help anymore

• schuld

Bricanyl Inhaler

Eventually, the medicine in the inhaler will not be as effective because as time passes that is what everything does. It is called entropy (disorderness). As for the expiration date, pretty much any medicine still works even a month after the expiration date. After all, we send all of our "expired" medications to third world countries, so they must still have some use. Companies just want to make sure that the medicine is always good during that amount of time so that the FDA will let them produce it. I do not suggest relying as heavily on expired medication though.

Well, they might have a slight impact on you but not as strongly as fresh ones. I have asthma and I've used expired inhalers, they worked fine. 2006 is a bit old, see your doc and get a new one. I used to have an asthma prevention inhaler and I never once used the thing (I was supposed to use it everyday until I died, twice a day) haha and the doctor said I was improving with it. Anyway, your best bet is to get a new one, it'll last you a while.

Source(s): Personal Experience as an asthmatic.
  • ?

I dont think the inhaler will give you chest tightness, but its never good to take expired medication. Its not as effective after the expiry date. What type of inhaler did u get?? It wont cause tightness in yr chest, but if its for asthma, then you might find that you will experience tightness due to not getting enough of the actual active ingredient via the inhaler, because of reduced efficacy .

If you do you'll be boned. The steroids will be so potent and fermented, because the synthasized ones do, that you will instantly see yourself start to bulk up and it will be cool for the first month but after that your muscles won't stop growing, you'll eventually have no flexability and won't be able to move. then you'll be sitting all day shitting where you sit, you'll get bed soars and your skin will break. After month 4 you'll want someone to blow your brains out, but they won't they will only laugh. After month six your muscles will be so big that you EXPLODE!!!!!! A-bomb style. Killing and horribly disfiguring millions.

thye'll still work, but not necessarily as well as if they weren't expired.

i have the same thing... you need to get the dr to get u a refill, they may work to an extent or for a small attack... but they will not work the way they are suposed to, especially if you have a big attack...

Yes- it probably will. However, it might not be at full strength, and you are probably better off getting a new one.

it can work but it can be more potent, I would keep if for severe emergencies and get a new one soon.