? asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

Do you think Iran is trying to build nuclear weapons? And, if they are, how close are they to achieving this?

I think that Iran might be working on them, despite their many denials. They might be working on technology that is for peaceful purposes, but that could also quickly be converted into the means to make nuclear bomb. Build the civil nuclear power stuff first, then make bombs later.

What do you think?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has concluded that Iran has engaged in undeclared nuclear activities including the development of uranium enrichment and plutonium separation which is necessary to fuel a nuclear weapon. In response, the United Nations (UN) has leveled a series of sanctions against Iran through various UN Security Council resolutions. I believe it is critical that we continue to use diplomatic pressure, working through international frameworks such as the UN Security Council and the IAEA to deter Iran from its defiant behavior and convince Iran to halt uranium enrichment.

As you know, the National intelligence Agency (NIA) released its National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) on Iran concluding that Iran stopped its nuclear weapons development program in 2003. While this part of the report was reassuring, there were other parts of the report that indicate Iran continues to seek enrichment capabilities to support a nuclear weapons program. Unfortunately, Iran is not working with the UN to disprove this possibility. Meanwhile, Iran continues to meddle in Iraq and has not played a helpful role in bringing stability to Iraq. For these reasons, I remain concerned about Iran's role in the region and I believe we must continue to pressure Iran with the support of our allies.

On March 3, 2008, the UN Security Council (UNSC) adopted UNSC Rocs 1803, imposing another set of sanctions on Iran for its illegal uranium enrichment program. The UNSC

adopted the resolution b y a vote of 14 to 0, with 1 abstention, after the latest IAEA report

stated that Iran is not suspending its proliferation-sensitive activities. The UN Security Council also stated that it would suspend the sanctions if Iran suspends all enrichment-related

and reprocessing activities! including research and development. as verified by IAEA.

However, the UNSC warned that. in the event Iran did not comply with their many relevant resolutions. they would be forced to take more severe actions.

• 4 years ago

I study the solutions of each and every of the others that replied, and on an identical time as I agree that each and every person conflict in mans historic past has no longer been tied to oil i visit assert that through fact that WWI oil has been the identifying element. no longer merely that yet i could state that if issues proceed at modern-day costs, oil stands out as the recent clarification for wars, incredibly to being in basic terms the element that determines the winner of such wars. of course, it particularly is simplifying issues, as all of us understand that there are different components in contact in why countries bypass to conflict, yet at this ingredient and time in historic past, oil is the tie that binds maximum if no longer all of those different components. I completely disagree with the thought that flex gas autos are the respond, as you will merely be paying for and merchandising one flamable for yet another and could interior the tip merely extra suitable entangle peoples every day lives with the real venture which isn't oil consistent with say, yet capability. you may, in spite of fact to the different, decrease into international nutrition components in a fashion that would assure conflict even swifter than oil itself ever would desire to. I agree that option would desire to be better, yet i believe that the respond interior the very short term is a much better use of modern-day assets until eventually the subsequent technologies is perfected. to illustrate, we elect extra suitable make the main of our photograph voltaic, wind, hydroelectric, organic gas and nuclear ability in a fashion that appreciably cuts our dependence on oil be it distant places or family members.

• 1 decade ago

Very possible, since Israel had nuke weaponry. Possibly in a distant future.

• 1 decade ago

i really dont think they are making nuclear weapons

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.