Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 1 decade ago

Flight training - Which aircraft.?

My father ( age 56 ) is a recent widower and an empty nester. He is retiring from professional life this year and has indicated that he would like to go for a Private Pilot's Ticket and then buy or timeshare a single engine aircraft for recreational use. My question is - can an individual take their flight training in their own aircraft or will he be restricted to the training aircraft at our local airport? They use Cessna 150 and 172 types for single engine training and and he has indicated that he would prefer one of the more modern design aircraft when and if he makes a purchase. note - flight center is in Ontario, Canada.


PaulB -- FAA? what part of C A N A D A don't you understand?

Update 2:

It's going to be tough picking best answer on this one. Some of you must be pilots.

TO ALL - I think he's trying to fast track so that he can fly the aircraft of his choice without having to get an additional type certificate when he graduates. And he has indicated that he would like an IFR rating. He has flown (at the controls -- SHHHH) with friends and is fully aware of the complexities (and costs).

11 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    In my answer I say "you", but it refers to anyone who'll fly.

    1- Type rating is usually not required on General Aviation Aircraft unless otherwise said so by CAR (Canadian Aviation Regulations) for specific model of aircraft.

    I have my licenses in USA, but I think there will be only slight differences between FAA and CAR. I will answer as it was for FAA, just check the details with CAR book.

    2- There's no restrictions to make a flight training in your own aircraft, but since you're using your plane for hire/training, your aircraft HAS to be inspected every 100hr by CMT. Insurance for training aircraft will be much higher as well.

    3- Probably most of flight schools will try to convince you of taking their aircraft and I suggest you spend some money to find out which aircraft is best for you.

    4- Instead of school find good instructor with reputations. Preferably old who's almost all his life dedicated to instructing. The best case if he is also flight examiner, although he cannot examine you but you will be prepared.

    5- Which aircraft?

    Low wing or high wing.

    High wing if: you're enjoying of seeing ground while flying, you're not confident flyer, you like to have doors on each side of aircraft, you're planning to land on soft fields, do a lot of mountain flying.

    Low wing if: you're enjoying more challenging training, you like the feeling of a real aircraft, you wanna see the runway when turning from downwind to the base leg, you will not land on soft fields.

    Traditional or Glass Cockpit

    Glass cockpit if: you're into the aviation future, you confident with computers, you're confident with complex images on the screen, you honestly rely on the system that it will never fail during the flight.

    Traditional if: you're ok with lot of dials, you're old-fashioned, you don't really like complex things.

    Be careful of what you choose since there's different approach of IFR training in each case.

    Also make some weight considerations, e.g. if I'll take C-152 and I weight 220lbs I can hardly fill the tanks if I'm taking passenger.

    I would not recommend of buying a new aircraft although it's really tempting. Since you're just a beginner, you'll have a LOT of rough landings especially when you'll already have your PPL and somewhere between 70 to 200 hours you'll falsly feel the confidence (statistics are bad for crashing).

    And no matter what your choice will be, try to put in your aircraft TCAS, it's not that big money for saving your life (too much mid-air collisions).

    And also try to be on the flight following no matter that you're flying VFR.

    It will be usefull for you to read CAR Part IV Standard 425:

    Be safe, take care

    Source(s): I love flying PA-181 Archer II. Me and the bird :)
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Lots of great answers here.

    If your Dad is a fairly tall fellow, I might recommend going with the 172 for instruction; 150/152's are a bit "cozy."

    And I highly agree; don't buy the airplane first. I bought my first plane before I had my license but I was almost finished when I did so. I only had a cross country and my check ride left to complete. Give the purchase some time so he can learn what sort of aircraft he may lean towards after gaining more knowledge.

    Newer 172's can be fairly high tech with the new Garmin 1000 glass cockpits. Some schools actually have a few for training now as it is the wave of the future. I'm not sure what his budget is but one of these new 172's goes for about $280,000. Used aircraft are considerably cheaper. A good used 172 can be had for $50-60K. Newer designs like Cirrus are even more money. Their basic model, the SR20 is around $300K and they go up from there.

    As has been mentioned, if he just wants to putter around the countryside, Sport Pilot may be something to consider although I am unsure of the Canadian equivalent or if there is such a thing.

    Word of warning though: You risk turning your father into an airport bum where he hangs out with guys like me and almost every conversation thereafter you may have with him will probably be interspersed with talk about airplanes and flying. All told though, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Which aircraft (so long as it's certificated by the CAA) is used is not regulated- it's all about venue (airport friendly to training- some big ones aren't) and primarily the instructor.

    If he's (or he and you are) convinced a personal aircraft is desired at end of training, go ahead and buy one and train in it--- HOWEVER: bear in mind the total cost of the aircraft. You may spend $6000-7000 Canadian on training with a rental aircraft, but you are avoiding insurance costs, a huge expense for you when you consider the insurance company will be very shy about writing a policy (ulitmately convinced of course by large sums of cash) in which training will be occuring, and for which the owner will have so few hours experience.

    I own two aircraft, but would recommend completing the training and 75-150 hrs experience before a purchase.

    The floats, flys, etc., RENT truism is quite true for training I think.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Thom
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    I'd recommend he take his medical exam first, then go up with a CFI. Talk to the CFI about his plans. Bottom line, I'd be sure I could get my certificate before buying a plane. But, having your own plane does have it's advantages. First, there's being able to go when you want, and not when the plane's available from the FBO. Second, he'll be real familiar with the instruments and layout, as he will be flying the same plane for his entire training. And last, he'll probably save some money, but not necessarilly alot, by having his own plane.

    I've always thought owning makes sense, if you will be flying in the area of 150 to 200 hours a year. If not, you'll be cheaper to rent.

    As for platforms, if he does buy one, I'd lean toward a 172 that is IFR certified. It's a little more, but once he gets his Private, I'd encourage him to get his IFR rating. He'll enjoy it so much more, and be a much safer pilot.

    Good luck. It's great to be a pilot...

    Source(s): I'm a pilot
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    I would seriously consider getting the ticket first, preferably in a 150 or 172, because they are really forgiving aircraft.

    I would not buy a plane until I had a chance to fly it. I feel that would be like sending my 16 year old daughter to driver's ed with her own mustang gt. The modern looking performers are nice, sleek, and dare I say sexy, but they complicate the learning curve.

    A low wing aircraft for instance is a bit more tricky just as they reach ground level due to buffeting that you won't get in a high wing 150 or 172.

    What if he buys a plane, finds he don't like flying, and gets stuck with it?

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    I instructed in various cessnas, pipers and. diamonds. If all he wants to do is get his Private asap. I would recommend the 172. Its costs a little more than the 150 but the price is worth the extra room. Both however are great airplanes to learn in. As far as buying I would spring for the diamond(made in Canada). They have the same engine as the 172 but burn less fuel and are about 30kts faster. Plus they have the center control stick which is just cool! :-) Hope he enjoys his new hobby.

    Source(s): Former flight instructor
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Have him go up for a few lessons to see if he really wants to do it. Lots of people have the dream, very few the stomach for what it really takes to learn to fly. And that's the same all over the world. Make sure your dad can get a Canadian medical certificate for flying.

    If after a few lessons he still has the desire to fly, continue to learn in the 172. After getting the license, then buy the plane, maybe a Cessna 182, it's a good airplane to learn with and then move on to a Cirrus or one of the new tech airplanes.

    Source(s): airline pilot, flight instructor
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    You can learn in any aircraft. Its finding a instructor that will train in yours that might be the problem. I joined a flight club / share ownership and we had an instructor among us. If he's of retirement age he might not be able to pass the medical and should seek to get a sport aircraft licence instead.

    I DO NOT RECCOMEND TAKING THE MEDICAL EXAM FIRST. If he fails the exam, he's done in aviation. Talk to your primary health care priver first and see if they think he'll pass. He he doesnt think he'll pass do not go get a faa medical. You dont need 1 for the sport pilot rating, your drivers licecne will suffice.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Ozzie
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    Tell your father there are 3 things in the world that you rent, #1 airplanes, #2 boats, and #3 I forget, but I think he will know.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

    Hi there,

    You can find here a good step by step guide about train models with loads of tips and tricks to plan and build a model railroad

    Hope it helps.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.