Thinking about converting to Judaism?

First of all, I know that converting to judaism is a VERY serious thing.

I'm seventeen and have been raised catholic and go to a catholic school, but christianity just doesn't satisfy me. Judaism has always interested me and I feel a connection to it. My great grandfather and his family were jewish. I agree with the teachings and am thinking about converting.

what should my first step be, obviosuly i am not ready yet.

should i go to a temple and just talk to a rabbi?

ive been speaking to a girl at my school who is a reform jew, so have een learning more

Best Answer

Well, I think you're on the right track :)

The first step is to just carry on investigating Judaism, and making really sure it is the path for you. Being Jewish can be lovely - it can also be difficult at times!

When and if you feel that the 'tug' towards Judaism is something you just can't ignore, then THAT is the time to approach a Rabbi. Make sure you do tell him/her that you do have some Jewish heritage, i.e. your great grandfather.

Sometimes, a Rabbi will follow the traditional path of turning away a potential convert three times - this is just to test sincerity :)

But if you show that you know the basics of Jewish theology and that you are genuine, then you WILL find a nice, supportive Rabbi to help you.

Here's a key point: ONLY an Orthodox conversion is recognised by ALL movements within Judaism. So even if you think that ultimately, Reform suits you best, you should consider having an Orthodox conversion. This means that in years to come, if please G-d you have children, they too will be Jewish - but only if your conversion is an Orthodox one.

If they wanted to attend a Jewish school, for instance, then the TYPE of conversion you have could prove significant.

Sorry, I realise this all sounds very pedantic, but they are important points.

Here are some great resources:

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/

http://www.whatjewsbelieve.org/

http://www.messiahtruth.com

http://www.simpletoremember.com

And here are some books I highly recommend:

EXODUS by Leon Uris

THE CHOSEN by Chaim Potok

Best of luck :)

TO THE ASKER ************************************

PLEASE note that 'ARIKINDE' is NOT Jewish.

No Jew can worship ANY human - Jesus included - and remain Jewish. To worship anyone but G-d VIOLATES Torah.

If someone is born to a Jewish mother, and later converts to Christianity, then they are a CHRISTIAN, and not 'jewish'. In the Jewish world, they are an apostate.

Jesus does not play any role in Judaism. We regard him, when we mention him at all in conversation (rarely) as a young Jewish man who, like many others back then, thought himself the messiah.

Awesome...you have to decide which type of Judaism fits you. So if there are Orthodox, Conservative, and Reform synagogues around try and visit one of each and see which one you like best. Then, like paperback said, when you feel thr pull go and speak to a rabbi. Some will discourage you some might not. If you're sincere, be persistent! The rabbi will tell you what you need to do, etc. But most of all, good luck!!

Source(s): i want to convert orthodox!
  • There is a wonderful website with all of the steps necessary for conversion.

http://convert.org/

Remember that only an Orthodox conversion will be accepted be all branches.

And as far as Arikinde is concerned, paperback isn't the one telling him he is not. ALL rabbis say he is not.

If you are a Jew and accept another religion - which Christianity is - you become an apostate.

It's not just paperback writer - it is every member of every synagogue, he is not allowed to sit in minyan, have his vote counted, or be buried in a Jewish cemetery.

Please don't believe the lies of such deceptive people - you either become a Jew or you don't - as you can see the conversion process is not easy. But it's truly disgusting that Christians who are too ashamed of what they are to call themselves that try to convert others by lying to them.

• Congratulations on seeking something that spiritually fulfills you.

Converting is, as you said, no easy task. There's more than a year's worth of work involved. Find a synnagouge (my advice would be a conservative one because that's in between reformed and orthodox) and speak with the rabbi. Show him that you are truly interested in converting and that it's not just a "phase" for you.

Rabbi's are (well, they're SUPPOSED to be) very warm and welcoming. Don't feel intimidated to approach him.

I should also note that Judaism does not require non-Jews to convert. If you want to stay Christian, you just need to follow the 7 Noachide laws (which you probably do already, so no worries)

Being Jewish is not the only way to G-d, it's one of many

Source(s): Conservative Jew

First step would be to read as much as you can about Judaism. Second when you feel ready, contact an ORTHODOX rabbi. Non Orthodox conversions are not recognized. And there is only one Temple, the one in Jerusalem, places where Jews worship are called synagogues.

Source(s): This will teach you the basics http://www.jewfaq.org/index.htm

Ask you friend if you can go to services with her. If possible, find a synagogue that's close by and ask a Rabbi how you can learn about Judaism. Check the newspaper for Jewish events and attend as many as possible.

The problem with Orthodox conversions is that you must live close enough to walk to shul on Shabbat and on some holy days. The vast majority of Jews in the U.S. are either Conservative or Reform.

.

I don't have too much to add to the great answers posted so far. However, if the girl at school is a friend of yours, I suggest going with her to see a rabbi. That will make it easier for you unless you're already very comfortable with the idea of approaching a rabbi to talk about conversion. Your first step, even if you do go to talk to this rabbi, is to decide in which movement you feel most at home--Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, etc. Be aware that only Orthodox conversions are recognized by all movements. Please feel free to e-mail me if you have other questions!

Source(s): I'm Jewish.

Take it really seriously and find out more. If reform is for you, fine. But keep in mind that a conservative or reform conversion is not accepted by everyone (but it is a lot easier and quicker).

If you take it seriously, you think Judaism is true and you want a full orthodox conversion, speak to an orthodox rabbi. Look up "Chabad", there'll be a centre near you. They're orthodox, but they're more helpful than most. They're not my ideal, but see if it's right for you.

If it seems like too hard a process, don't be embarrassed to live a good life without being Jewish. But if you decide it is for you, we'd be glad to have you join us.

yes i am thinking of converting to judaism how do you go about it

• It's a long road.

Make sure you're ready for it.

Find a synagogue to go to, and see if you can speak to a rabbi.

Make sure you really want to do it, because you'll get bombarded with questions that'll make it seem like they don't want you to convert, when in actuality it's a test to see how badly and sincerely you want it.

We pray daily for the redemption and to see your interest is a beautiful thing. :)

Source(s): Religious Jew