Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

are hot baths okey when your pregnant? I'm 7 weeks.?

is a hot shower or bath ok ey for your baby? or even a hottub?

and also usually i put my laptop on my belly and its a little bit hot underneath, is it bad for the baby, should i stop putting the laptop there?

Best Answer

There is a potential danger to the developing fetus if your body temperature rises above 102 degrees. You can raise your body temperature to this level by getting a fever, by exercising too strenuously, working outside on hot summer days, and so on. Hot tubs and hot baths have a tendency to raise your body temperature as well.

According to the Organization of Teratology Information Services (OTIS), a body temperature of 101 degrees and above can raise concerns during pregnancy. Some studies have shown an increased risk of birth defects in babies of women who had an increased body temperature during the first trimester of pregnancy. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) also recommends that pregnant women never let their core body temperature rise above 102.2 degrees.

A hot bath, which is not uncomfortable or scalding, is generally a safe way to relax. In a bath much of your upper body will remain out of the water, making you less likely to overheat. Additionally, the water in a bath begins to cool off, as opposed to a hot tub, further reducing any risk of overheating. So, there is nothing wrong with taking a warm/hot bath while pregnant (until your water breaks), as long as the water temperatures do not exceed 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't think I would suggest heating it to 105 degrees, though.

The hot bath doesn't need to be so steaming that it drastically changes your body temp and your start sweating, but otherwise it's alright. I wouldn't get in a hot tub though. If you have up to this point your are probably alright but I wouldn't do it anymore. I don't think the computer will hurt anything. i hope it doesn't. I haven't noticed any problems with any of my children. I have used a laptop with all 5 of my babies and they all seem fine. I think it's heat effects you more than anything. :) Keep drinks lots of water during this time. You don't want to get dehydrated.

God Bless.

mom of 5 w/ #6 due Nov 08

Try not to put your laptop on your belly, put it on your lap.

Showers are ok, but you shouldn't take hot baths or get in a hot tub!!! It can raise your body temperature and overheat the baby.

• Katie

Baths should not be any hotter than 100 degree's. no hot tubs. I personally wouldn't put the laptop on my belly while pregnant, I suggest a pillow under it at least.

• TX Mom

Not too hot water, no hottub unless you're the only one who uses it. I think i'd keep the laptop away from baby. There was a study done about miscarriages being more common with women who slept under electric blankets. If electric blankets do that, I'd keep my laptop away, too.

TX Mom

I am 11 weeks and have been told that it is fine as long as you don't raise your body temp to 101. I have even heard that you can sit in a hot tub, but only for a couple of mins depending on the degree of the water.

If you are still unsure just call the prenatal clinic and they can answer your questions.

If thats what your body is used to then fine, i like my baths steaming, and have 4 healthy boys, (no deformaties!!!) I'm not recommending it, but it didn't do me any harm, any concerns ask your midwife. As for the laptop why you worrying? I used to rest my cup of tea on my belly!! The baby is pretty safe in your tummy.

Source(s): Mother of 4 boys youngest 18 months

I went last week and asked my doc he said no hot tubs or hot bathes and were around the same time

No you do not want to take hot baths or go in the hot tub due to deformaties. About the lap top thing I would put a pillow or something on your lap.

• smiles

You can take a nice hot bath, but not as hot as a hot tub, hot tubs are too hot.