Removing Bad Sectors Manually?

My hard drive took a spill, and has a few bad sectors that every application I've tried (CHKDSK, gParted, Boot & Nuke, etc) can't seem to fix.

If I know EXACTLY which sectors are damaged, is there a way to remove them from the partition table manually?

(Example, I know sectors #365244 through #365276 are damaged)

Favorite Answer

cannot remove them from the disk but can cause the software to read them as bad and "quarantine" that area. most software that can do this will have the help section available or directions in manual form

You would be able to "remove" them from the partition table, but not in a direct way.

You could kill all the partitions on the disc, calculate a size for the first partition which would fall in front of the first bad sector, create that partition, then create a second partition which would start after the last bad sector, and just work with the two partitions later.

It would probably be a wiser idea to get a new hard drive though. It's possible the bad sectors will expand into the other partitions, and progressively get worse.

You can't actually remove a bad sector. You can only mask them so that the filesystem knows not to use them. Start backing up your data and just get a new drive.

Scandisk should fix them. If the errors are not fixed, don't you think it is time for you to buy a new HDD?

I know they're not manual but it may help

http://3d2f.com/pcgi/search.cgi?text=DiskPatch