How do we inform neighbourhood of backyard wedding?

Our wedding is taking place in my fiance's backyard. We have about 60 guests. All of the backyards sort of back onto eachother. We are going to personally go to the attaching neaighbours and let them know but how do we let the whole neighbourhood know? We just don't want any lawnmowers going and such... plus we just want to be respectful and let them know that our yard will be a bit noisy but nothing aggressive. We were thinking maybe a flyer? Or posting something on the community mailbox. How do I word it though without being offensive... that is the last thing we want. Thanks for your help.

Ok! Some great responses! I thank you :)

Just to clear up... I was NOT asking if I could tell neighbours not to make noise like mowing lawns, for example. I know that would be rude... that's not the question. I was just voicing my concern of having that happen during our service. I was simply asking people's opinion on how to let everyone know effectively because the last thing we want is to be rude.

The backyards are connected but with fences between them. Actually the neighbours beside us are opening up their yard as well so it will be plenty of room for a small amount of people. As for the cars, it won't be an issue because the church across the street has given us permission to park there.

Also, this neighbourhood is not a close knit one. Thus, no one would be offended at all for not being invited just like we wouldn't be offended not being invited to theirs. It is a small backyard wedding... not a community barbeque where we are excluding people. No Wysteria lane over here :)

Favorite Answer

make a flyer to put in everyone mailboxes.

To all our friendly neighbors:

FYI

On July 1st we will be celebrating our wedding. We wanted to inform you that this will be happening in our backyard. It will be a big and fun day for us. Please excuse the noise for the day. We hope that this will not interfere with anyone's agenda for that day. Thank you for your cooperation and patience and we enjoy our "big day".

Any questions or concerns please contact us.

Mr. John Sample & Miss Jan Doe

123 Maple Drive

(555) 555-5555

I wouldn't ask anyone to not mow their lawn or anything like that - then you pushing the rudeness line. Just keep it simple and hope everyone is respectful that day.

God bless

Getting people to change their schedule for you is nearly impossible. So be aware now that even if all know, they still might not care and still might mow their lawns. There's nothing you can do about it.

Telling people about a wedding that they aren't invited too is a tiny bit rude in my opinion. Hi.. were having this nice wedding and party over there.. but hey.. you aren't invited. . just thought i'd let you know. So be prepared for others to think like that as well.

Have you looked into the city organances? Do they allow for a gathering of 60 people in the back yard without a permit? I doubt it highly and if someone were to call the police, you could get a ticket and be forced to disperse before the nuptials even begin. Don't put it past many to be up on the permit issue. When i worked there we got call all the time with citizens who knew the law almost better than those working at the permit office!!!!

Get your permit! Let law enforcement know that you have the permit and when and what day it will be.

I'd then tell my closest neighbors that you are sorry for any inconvienence since there will be a party and then invite them to the reception that is to follow for some food. That way they won't be able to run their lawn mowers and it will feel less rude. Of course, inviting the entire street would not be wise. I'm sure you'll be marking the front and i am also sure they will see the cars. Oh, you might need a permit for the parking as well, i'd look into that too. You don't want people to have to remove their cars during your wedding. People who are nice, will automatically change their schedules around, people who dont' care about you or your feelings, won't. When you chose to get married back there you took a risk. But... there is always risk no matter where you go.

Planes fly overhead, trucks lay on horns. No one is safe. Keep yourself light and expect anything and then it won't seem the end of the world.

Congrats and good luck!

If you will be spilling into anyones yard, you need to personally ask them for permission to use their property. Even if they rent you should still personally talk to them. For people that will not have this right in their backyard, I think flyers are fine but you need to make sure they get one. Does everyone see the community mailbox? If there aren't that many people then you could go knocking on doors to let them know personally, but I don't think you need to worry much. You seem conscious of how you will affect the people that live near you, so I doubt that it will become a problem. Some people are mean just for the sake of being mean, so you are smart to give people a warning.

I agree that looking to see if there are permits available would be smart.

ADDITION: You can't tell them not to mow their lawns. Just give them a heads up, that should be enough. The people that care won't, the people that don't care will go out of their way to do it if you ask them not to. As long as they aren't trying to mow where the wedding is it shouldn't be a big problem. This is just what you have to deal with when you do a backyard wedding. If someone works 6 days a week they will not take kindly to you telling them they can't do their outdoor chores because there is a wedding down the street.

ADDITION: If you know these people it is a bit rude to let them know about the wedding and saying they aren't invited, but they will notice anyways and if you don't know them they should know about it.

Unless you invite all the neighbors, you can't really require them not to run their lawnmowers or whatever. If all the backyards run together, you could also end up with children or pets running around too. After all, you're also asking them to deal with possible parking and noise issues. I think the flyer is a good idea, and maybe also a sign up on your front lawn a few days ahead of time, and then I think you just have to hope for the best.

Best wishes and congratulations!

A note or visit from you, letting them know that on X day you'll be having your wedding in your yard. Though the guest list is limited, there will be many cars on the street. Just a friendly note so that you are not alarmed. Our guests will not block your driveway or mailbox, and of course the street will still be accessible.

Leave out the "no mowing your lawns and such" because yeah, that's rude. (And people will most likely take your event into consideration if you are nice about it, without telling them this is what you want of them.)

If you are like most men and women, you have most possibly gotten into backyard landscaping because you felt the desire to change the look and truly feel of your home. You wanted to make it a great area exactly where your family could truly feel secure, comfortable and a place to have a excellent time and this is why this guide https://tr.im/eIfln is for you.

Ideas 4 Landscaping is a complete multimedia resource that will give you all the tips and plans that you could need to landscape your dream backyard.

For any individual who has obtained any gardening or landscaping magazines, you may find that extremely couple of magazines have the high quality of design and style and degree of detail that Ideas 4 Landscaping have, that make Ideas 4 Landscaping an invaluable resource in the style and planning of your new landscape.

i would go door to door in that area and give them a piece of paper saying "dear neighboor.. this is just a short note to let you know that x and y are getting married at such a time and would greatly appreciate if during this time we didn't have any lawn mowing being done and other things like that. we are having about 50 guests and will keep the noise down. thank you so much for understanding." also post up at the community mailbox as well.

i flyer may be nice but asking people not to do yard work is a bit of a stretch. But it cant hurt to ask.

Maybe jsut do a flyer as

"FYI Jane and John will be getting married June 1st, 2009. We are holding out reception in our back yard on 123 Main St. We wanted to let the neighborhood know due to the cards parked in the area and some noise that day.

Thank you all in advance for your understanding on our special day!"

and sign your names. I cant think of a way to ask them to keep it down though but im sure most will once they know!

• The flyer is a nice idea to give everyone a heads up especially since there will probably be a lot of cars taking up the neighborhood. I don't know how late your party is going to go but as a precaution you may want to contact your local police deptartment. Our neighbors had a large party last year with a band in their backyard they got some sort of permit for the music that way other neighbors couldn't call and complain. The last thing you want is for the police to crash your wedding lol.

I think a handwritten letter to your closest neighbors would be a nice thing to do. Remember all the cars and the parking may also be an issue for them, annoying. You may also want to hand deliver it so that you can add in that you may be afraid that people may mow during the ceremony, that way it will be in the front of their minds that you had that conversation with them. Congratulations.