Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

My computer won't let me open a file, saying I don't have "appropriate permissions," how do I access the file

I'm trying to open something I just downloaded--Pocket DVD Studio--and every time I click on it, there's a pop-up, that says, "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I don't really know what this means, but what I DO know is that I NEED to open Pocket-DVD Studio and this is really starting to piss me off. So, how do I get into the file??? Do I need to GET permission? If so, how?? My computer is a laptop (Dell Inspiron 1521...) and there's only one user account, so I'm pretty sure I'm an administrator, it SAYS I am, but I have problems with permissions and needing permission to access tons of things on my computer. I don't know what to do! Can anyone help?

Also, if this matters, whenever I try to open the file, there's another popup that says 'threat detected...' then something, and then trojan horse generic9.BKTH....? Detected on open...?

HELP, PLEASE! WHAT DO I DO TO ACCESS THE FILE I NEED?!

Best Answer

The reason you cannot open the file is that you're anti virus is blocking it. Try to scan it with you're anti-virus utility, if it detects a virus, don't open it! Delete it then try to download it again from a safe site.

I say do not open it...it sounds like you need to listen to your anti virus....since it is what has you blocked. I can't give you the answer in good consience. Sorry.

P.S. A trojan is the type of thing that will steal you ID...Bank info.....and messup your PC.

Uhhh you downloaded a Trojan Horse. Is this question for real?

• Erika

you are able to truly attempt openoffice. I even have that application on my laptop and use it to open Microsoft information. i exploit it for domicile stuff yet for college i double verify my stuff. the component I double verify for is the formating to make confident it comes out the way I meant.

your parents must of set certain blocks..

i could fix it if i had it in front of me..

go in to settings and study it carefully.. its the only thing you can do right now..

as for the trojan thing.. i have no clue.. and it does it to me too

my current theory is that windows vista sucks lol