Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 decade ago

how long would it take for someone to get a visa to leave vietnam and come to the U.S? Passport too?

I am trying to adopt a baby from vietnam and his aunt from the U.S.is willing to go get him from vietnam and then I would adopt him from her. I was wondering how long this process could potentially take. thanks!

Favorite Answer

Well, what you're describing is illegal in actuality. Among other things, it would be considered alien smuggling by her, and probably trafficking in children by you. There are legal ways to adopt overseas, but this is absolutely not one of them. At the moment, there are a number of problems with the adoption program in Vietnam. there have been a number of accusations of corrruption, and Vietnam has announced it intends to shut down adoptions with the US as a result.

This is part of an announcement on it by the US embassy in Hanoi:

Adopted Children Immigrant Visa Unit

Warning Concerning Adoptions in Vietnam

April 2008

The Department of State continues to urge prospective adoptive parents and adoption service providers not to initiate new adoptions from Vietnam at this time. The 2005 Memorandum of Agreement, required by Vietnamese law to authorize adoptions between the United States and Vietnam, expires on September 1, 2008. In addition, recent field investigations have revealed incidents of serious adoption irregularities, including forged or altered documentation, mothers paid, coerced or tricked into releasing their children, and children offered for adoption without the knowledge or consent of their birth parents.

You can read all of it at http://vietnam.usembassy.gov/adoption_warning0408....

You can read other information on travel.state.gov on this page by scrolling down to Vietnam at http://www.travel.state.gov/family/adoption/countr...

If case you think I'm somehow against foreign adoptions, or not empathetic for some reason, I'll say that I adopted both of my children in other countries, who are now 19 and 23. Take a look through the adoption section at travel.state.gov and see how it's supposed to be done.