History: Canada's autonomy?

"Historians have debated the extent to which Canada has developed an independent national identity over the last one hundred years.Did Canada become more autonomous during the twentieth century? So basically i have make an essay agreeing or disagreeing i have know clue on how to do it? Like i want to agree Well i was thinking to do body paragraph one about halibut treaty and the second one on how Canada went to WWII independent but i have no clue on the what to make the thesis and what my last argument should be? Can someone help me!!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

- Canada took a big step toward autonomy. The U.S. took a whole different path then Canada. Canada gained autonomy by taking steady steps during and after the war.

- Canada had gained a new sense of maturity because of Canada's major contibution to the war. Canada was given the right to sign the treaty of Versailled on it's own. They also joined the League of Nations as a seperate nation from Britain. They were still a Dominion with the British Empire though.

- Mackenzie was determined to push for Canadian autonomy. A series of events happened in the next few years that gave him the opportunities he needed.

http://historyclass.tripod.com/id28.html

Canadian Autonomy was the product of the evolution of Canadian Nationalism and the development of a desire to become independent from Britain. At one time Canada was nothing more than a British colony and the only pride felt by Canadian residents was the pride in being a British subject. Over time and with the guidance of Prime Ministers like Sir Wilfrid Laurier, this began to change and a distinct Canadian identity surfaced.....

http://www.freeonlineresearchpapers.com/canadian-a...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Joanne
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

As a student of HISTORY maybe you should read a little more. It would help if you learned how to write and use CAPITALS correctly. Your perplexed mind would be eased if you read a little deeper and did not glance over the headlines. You would like a few hundred years of history summed up in a sentence or two. These TROLL questions are getting insulting. Read the history if you are really a student of history it is not a big secret and is readily found. If you are having trouble completing your assignment suggest you research it yourself. There are many sources for this information. Get your teacher to show you what a LIBRARY is . This is a pre internet thing that has all sorts of HISTORICAL information. But if you must know we threatened to withdraw Maple Syrup from the Export Market. Have a nice day and do your own school assignment. You will learn so much more if you do it yourself.

• Heidi
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axsC5

I don't think it was a matter of them "giving" us anything or us "demanding" anything as much as it was just part of the natural evolution of things. Canada is continually evolving and changing, as is Australia and even England. As we got "older" as a nation there was less and less reason for us to not be able to do things on our own until the tipping point was reached and negotiations were started which eventually repatriated our Constitution. We proved our maturity as a Nation through both World Wars and on the international stage in so many ways such as the concept of Peacekeepers and our views about various world events.

• raub
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Canadian Autonomy

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.