Should a 10-year-old be watching Death Note?

I have a slight dilemma here...I know a ten year old girl who is very into anime. Recently,she has taken an interest in Death Note. I'm not sure if I should let her watch it,because she is mostly into simple, cutesy shoujo.

I'm afraid it might be a bit too intense for her.

What's your opinion on this? Do you think Death Note would be appropriate for her age ?

Favorite Answer

It's fine that a ten year old girl is watching it. However, it could be a bad influence because she might not take the concept of death seriously. she might think it is okay to think that a person she doen't like should die. Kids in the past have kept their own death notes and wrote names of fellow students, classmates, teachers, etc. in their notebook and keep a detailed record of how people they don't really like dies. These kids were suspended from school for having death notes in their possession. It's a wonderful anime to watch, but since she still young, she might take it the wrong way and the series can have a bad influece on her. It really depends on her level of maturity whether she's ten or younger/older. I would say no, but it's really for you to decide whether she's mature enough.

Death Note may be a little violent but it has some morals too :| If she watches it, what negative reactions might she have? She would probably think violently, but since she liked shoujo anime before DN that might not be the case. She might be watching the show since the characters look nice. Or the concept of the story is really deep, and you can learn alot once you finish the show.

It all depends on how your friend thinks of the show.

I seriously doubt she'd understand the plot, and Death Note isn't a horror anime to begin with. Honestly, Death Note wasn't the least bit scary to me. Don't let your lil' sister watch it; tell her that it's not meant for her. Light is a pretty crazy dude. Death Note's plot is so interesting that it drags your mind into it. I don't think your sister should watch it. 10 year olds aren't qualified for it yet. You can't possibly compare Haruhi Suzumiya to Death Note. Death Note is on a different league.

I have a 10 years old younger brother, and I don't think the anime is really suitable for his age... although he's a boy I don't recommend him this anime, but now we're talking about a girl who loves shoujo.... lol, it's definately not suitable....

but then again, it's up to you, I think you've watched the series, didn't you? you can understand!

oh yeah, there's another thing, would they really understand it?!

{EDIT} my brother loves anime as well, he likes Naruto, One Piece, Ben 10(although it's not an anime, lol), Black Cat and those little action anime and he watches them with me... to tell you the truth, he never asked me to watch Death Note, he says it'd bore him!! lol, ummmm, the anime would scare them and they won't understand anything (that's what I think) and they probably won't get the idea of shinigamis, even if you tell them they're death gods they won't believe it and would say such a thing doesn't exist or the opposite might happen, they'd believe in them and would get scared, I still don't get it... what did she see in Death Note that interested her?! if she loves simple and shoujo anime then this anime is absolutely not for her...

Source(s): (\_/) (O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig (> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination...

No I dont think a 10-year-old be should watching Death Note.12 or 13 year old is alright but 10 is too young

There's no graphic violence that is THAT bad, but it might be a little hard to comprehend. And the other problem is that the religious stuff about Kira and justice might be a problem if you're very religious. But it's very entertaining and there's less cuss words than some of the other animes. It's very educational in my opinion and really gets you thinking about good/evil.

However, if your child starts making a fake Death Note and writing names in it, THAT's when you know you should be worried. XD

Well let me tell you one thing, Death Note is for the 14yrs+ audience and it is pretty intense. Let me fill you up, in the Anime, there is deaths(of course death note), blood(little), and weapon use. This is more realistic then most animes. Other then that it is a battle between Kira (light) and L (investigator). They use their minds to get out of situations and to trick one of another. So in conclusion it is not that bad for a ten year old as long as they don't get carried away.

Lol If she loves anime alot she will probably end up watching it....tell her to go watch shugo chara or Powerfuff girl z or full moon wo sagasgite...there all good and im 14 and I love them O.o she dosent need to watch death note >.< and if she wants a good shojo tell her to watch vampire night(its a bit intense too but not as bad as death note) or special A (both newer anime) :]

I freaking love every minute of Death Note, and I'm around the girl's age. Death Note is sort of violent, but as long as she is mature she will handle it fine.

My sister is eleven and she cannot take it. But really I watched it a long time ago, when I was like eleven too. It really depends how mature you are, I don't think age matters here. If you are a five year old are you can take bloody, gory, stuff and can understand things like that, I say, go for it! But if you are a girly seventeen year old who only thinks about the happy things in life, I wouldn't be sure that its a good choice. Like I said, its really not the age, its more how mature you are.

Source(s): ~Akamaru (I wish Kiba was here! <3)