Can I make my ex pay my legal bills?

Me and my common law husband just broke up and I may need a lawyer, but I have no job and no money and have been completely dependent on him throughout our 3 1/2 year relationship. Is there any way I can make him pay my legal fees?

Update:

I dont think I put enough detail in my last question. I live in NB, Canada and me and my common law husband have seperated, we lived together for 3 years and have a 2 year old daughter. I am completely dependent upon him and have no money to pay for a lawyer. We have filed income tax together as common law for the last two years, and signed common law papers through the military 2 years ago. Can I make him pay my legal bills for our seperation?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes but inform you attorney he has to get paid by your ex. Call around to find attorney that will do this for you.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Establishing a common law marriage may not be something that is recognized where you live. In addition to that you have only been together for 3 years. Check the common laws of your state to see if you have a leg to stand on. I am suspecting you don't. In most states just living together does not give you any legal standing.

• Cham
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Most states don't recognize common law marriage, so you probably won't need a lawyer anyway.

What the court can do is order interim fees, which is basically a loan from the otehr party that YOU will have to pay him back, but if YOU bring the suit then YOU have to pay your own retainers and filings.

better wise up and research your family code and rules of civil procedure to find out when a judge is obligated to order interim fees, or if you're even, "married".

• 1 decade ago

Very few states recognize common law marriages - and almost NONE of those states beleive that 3 1/2 years constitutes a "marriage."

Go here to see if you meet the requirements of your state -- if not, what you have is an ex-boyfriend, not a common law husband. http://www.unmarried.org/common-law-marriage.html

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

In my state, a couple are required to have legal documentation from a court of law stating that they have a "common-law" marriage..(SC). So, here, you probably would be on your own..

If we would only teach our young ladies the old adage,"why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?" That,plus the advantages of virtue and marriage--..

Source(s): common law marriage in SC
  • 1 decade ago

The question is too general. It depends on your circumstances during the marriage, but the family Court rarely awards costs for legal bills.

• 1 decade ago

Its possible depending on what state your in . But its a big gamble if the judge doesn't think he should you have a heck of bill.If you are just common law why do you need a lawyer, unless you have children or joint property., If you have neither you don't need one.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, and if you've spent the last 3 1/2 years being his companion and keeping house and taking care of him then you should definitely ask for that.

• 1 decade ago

you would have to find out if your state recognizes common law marriages first

• 1 decade ago

why should he??? get a job and pay your own fees set up a payment plan..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.