Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Would I like Pride & Prejudice?

Okay, so here's the deal:

I really love reading. But only Young Adult/Realistic Fiction novels.

Books like Gossip Girl, The A-List, The It Girl, Twilight, Sarah Dessen's novels, Bittersweet Sixteen, Secrets of My Hollywood Life, Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet, Violet on the Runway, and more following the same pattern.

I'd say I'm a pretty advanced reader. I go through about twenty books a year.

&& I was just wondering whether I'd like reading something like Pride and Prejudice. I liked To Kill a Mockingbird, which has inspired me to attempt to expand my reading range.

But I still have doubts on whether I'd like a novel like that, due to my previous reading habits.

I am quite content reading YA novels for now, so I dont want to waste time trying to read Pride and Prejudice if I wont like it.

Other novel suggestions would be nice, I'd really like to start on more well-written novels.

Are there any I might enjoy, considering the genre I read currently?

Thankyou =]

Um.. to the person who said I wouldnt like Pride and Prejudice, and that I'm not an advanced reader, whatever.

I dont know if it sounded like I was trying to show off or anything, thats not what I meant.

But what you said sounded pretty harsh to me.

You didnt have to trash Gossip Girl, just because its not your cup of tea. I just thought it would be helpful to state the novels I already enjoy reading.

&& the advanced reading thing wasnt meant to imply I'm some super genious or anything. Just that I can probably handle some reading materials better than expected for a thirteen year old. The people I know dont even like to read...

Thankyou for reccommending some novels,

but I'd just like to say that I think what you wrote was a bit uneccessary.

You cant go around speaking to people like that and expect them to not be bothered.

• Ilerya
    Favorite Answer

I think you would like Pride & Prejudice, but if you have doubts, can I recommend that you attempt to read something else first?

I would recommend that, if you're looking for a romantic story, take a look at reading The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks or A Walk to Remember by the same author. They fit into your pattern quite well.

If you would like to try out the first chapter, Pride & Prejudice is available online at Project Gutenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org

I'm sure that Pemberley may also have it. If you try reading the first chapters online, then you can make a decision based on your own gut feeling as to whether or not you would like to continue reading it.

Good luck and happy reading!

If you are an advanced reader than you should read Pride and Prejudice. It is smart, romantic and page turning. Great characters and a very important story everyone you likes good literature should have read. It is not that difficult and it will open a door to Jane Austen's other great novels. Once you have completed Austen's novels, go for some heavier stuff from the Bronte sisters, who all wrote great books with female heroines.

I think most females would enjoy pride and prejudice-- it's just one of those books that gets you really into the characters. I'm really into 18th and 19th century British literature... other good books like pride and prejudice would be wives and daughters, Jane Eyre, north and south-- those are 3 of my favs.

If you're still not sold- you can watch one of the movies based on the book and see if that seems interesting to ya. You'd get the jist of the story-- but the books are almost always better (and in this case, it is).

Seriously, I don't think so.

Pride and Prejudice is a real romance story with depth. Stories like Gossip Girl are just about stupid girls who throw their lives and money away partying, drinking, and having sex.

And reading 20 YA books a year is hardly 'advanced reading'. I think to call yourself that, you would have to read at least 2 or 3 a week. And probably books written before the 1950's.

But if you really are trying to read some classics, I would recommend it, yes. And Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Wuthering Heights by her sister, Emily.

I think evry young girl should read pride and prejudice.. it is amazing!!

also if you'r lookin to expand your reading horizons here's a few suggestions:

pride and prejudice

wuthering heights

sense and sensibility

vanity fair

anne of green gables

little women

those are older novels, newer ones that are rly good are some by melody carlson or ann brashares

happy reading!!!

Yes. You would.

The books as others referred are also freely available in the internet, so you don't even have to buy them. I shall point you out in the following links where you find them and read them for free.

http://www.webliterature.net/literature/Austen/ind... - here you find "Pride and Prejudice", and "Sense and Sensibility"

http://www.webliterature.net/literature/Bronte/ind... - here you find "Wuthering Heights", free again

http://www.webliterature.net/literature/LucyMontgo... - here you find all the "Anne" series books.

In general in http://www.webliterature.net/literature/ you find a whole bunch of books for free. Today it is the largest site (in terms of quantity of purely classic literature.

even i read pride and prejudice bt i din like it dat much bt surely d couple eliza and darcy are gr8.....since i like adventure n mystery dats y i din like dat pretty much...u cn always giv a try to dat