American resident with both Canadian and US citizenship and I want to acquire a Canadian Credit card.?

My Family is back in Canada, including my children, and I'd like to acquire a credit card so I can use it with my kids but every application only wants my Canadian address. I have no intention of moving back but travel to Canada quite often.

I know I can use my US cards as well but I have reasons behind what I'm doing...had some issues with my ex running up my cards.

Does anyone know of a way, legally of course, that I can acquire a Canadian credit card with a US address?

3 Answers

  • wahoo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    I have credit/debit cards for Canada, and the US. All you need is money in the bank, pick a bank it does not matter...and you do need a Canadian address. Also you need ID to prove who you are and your address. It may be necessary to get an ID card from the MTO sort of like a drivers lic but not quite...more like just your name and least that is what I had to do to get my card in Tn. If your family is back in Canada, you must be living somewhere, use that address. This address will be used to mail your statements to and mail your credit card to, so make sure that it is an address that you trust. You can use a family members maybe. Once you have started using your card and made a good impression at the can then ask to have the statements mailed to your main address in the States...hopefully they will comply.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    To obtain a credit card typically requires a bank account in the country in which the card is issued. Most Canadian (and US) banks will only give accounts to those with Canadian (or US) addresses - which do NOT include post office boxes!.

    You also (typically) require a credit history in the country to which you're making the application ... having a US history buys you nothing in terms of Canadian credit, and vice versa.

    Looks like you'll have to pay the 3% transaction fee every time you use those US cards on the Canadian side of the border...

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    wager my question is, is it a threat to maintain my US everlasting Resident Card and Get one for Canada, or are you able to basically carry separately? separately might or no longer that's wiser to coach for my US Citizenship, definite then prepare for a Canadian everlasting Resdient Card? definite if so, i'm worried how long it is going to take to get my naturalization processed, you will would desire to ask USCIS that query. and if which will (reason a) postpone as quickly as I can prepare for a Canadian everlasting Resident card - prepare for the PR card when you're married yet once you do you would be able to lose the eco-friendly card. that's why you would be able to desire to enhance right into a US citizen ASAP.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.