Fatty Liver in Cats?

My best friend's cat has fatty liver disease. She lost a lot of weight due to the stress of moving, and ended up with fatty liver. The vet sent her home and gave her instructions to force feed the cat a prescription diet. She is absolutely frazzled, and thinks it might just be better to put her cat down.... show more My best friend's cat has fatty liver disease. She lost a lot of weight due to the stress of moving, and ended up with fatty liver.

The vet sent her home and gave her instructions to force feed the cat a prescription diet.

She is absolutely frazzled, and thinks it might just be better to put her cat down. Her cat is only three years old, but she thinks her cat is in unbearable pain.

I've read a bit online, and it appears cats can recover from this pretty quickly.

Has anyone been through this? Has anyone had a cat pull through fatty liver disease? Any thoughts?