My soon-to-be ex-husband forged my signature on a car loan. I just got the paperwork. Now what??

So, he forged my signature while we were together, and after seperating, he stopped making payments on the car, and the Bank started calling me for the money. Eventually he signed the car over to me as a gift, since I was paying for it, and he quit his job and couldn't afford it. I have 2 cars now, can barely get by, and now have the loan papers, which have my name on them, only not signed by me. Will the dealership take the car back, since they had a witness sign? Is there a way to settle this outside of court and lawyers? Should I put a stop-payment on the loan??

2 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    I think you should file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. In essense what he did is identity fraud. How would the car dealer let him do that? You weren't even present. I know when I signed my title I needed picture I.D.

  • 1 decade ago

    You need to see a lawyer.

    If your ex signed the car over to you, you must have accepted it and put the car in your name. Since you started paying on the loan, that indicates that you assumed responsibility for the loan.

    In retrospect, you should have reported the forgery immediately to the loan company and the police. That would still be a place to start.

    I am not a lawyer. Again you need to talk to a professional.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.