Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Will Obama be forced to dump the corn-ethanol lobby who support him?

Americans are becoming increasingly angry about high-food prices. Especially the production of corn ethanol which takes food from Americans.

• Steve
    Favorite Answer

I hope so. This is one of the issues where I disagree with Obama on. I am not concerned with food prices here in America, but in many third world countries that depend on foreign aid or trade to feed their people, the value of their trade goods is dropping and the amount that they can bring in is decreasing, in large part to the increase in the cost of corn and grains being turned into ethanol.

In some countries that don't use trade to bring in foods, but depend on foreign aid and are in the midst of massive famines, the problem is several times worse. The aid was never sufficient to prevent malnutrition to begin with, but now the same aid brings in less than half the food, and the UN and other food distribution organizations are weighing families before distributing aid, often forcing children who are not malnourished enough to go without food while their starving siblings get enough rations for a day.

I understand the need for a renewable fuel, and the desire to not be dependant on foreign sources for fuel, but I think using a food source is even more problematic. For the time being, I think that we should continue to depend on increased efficiency standards and greater utilization of solar, wind, and gravitational power sources.

Food for fuel is unethical... it raises the price of feed and meat, it hurts other farmers and the higher food prices wipe out any gas saving benefit. Ethanol also ruins your engine since most of our vehicles are not made to withstand the water in ethanol... and the lack of infrastructure to ship it is a big problem (it can only be transported via rail or barge, causing more pollution) and the energy and water used to grow the crop is completely not "green" Obama is NOT smart if he thinks this is an answer.

nutrition for gasoline is unethical... it will develop the cost of feed and meat, it hurts different farmers and the better nutrition expenditures wipe out any gasoline saving earnings. Ethanol also ruins your engine because maximum of our autos at the prompt are not made to face up to the water in ethanol... and the shortcoming of infrastructure to deliver that's a huge situation (it might want to basically be transported by ability of rail or barge, causing extra pollution) and the means and water used to make stronger the crop is punctiliously no longer "eco-friendly" Obama isn't smart if he thinks it is an answer.

• Dawgz

He'll stubbornly hang onto them...in order to increase the cost of Food in the US and cause artificial Food Shortages Internationally while increasing Global Warming Gases and Pollution at the same time!

the world you live in is part fantasy perpetuated by the ruling elite. the government is their apparatus to have it their way. people choose to believe one story or the other story. the voting public always go for the best story.

children love to hear good stories.

this lobby group is why he doesn't support off-shore drilling or nuclear power, instead he says he's only for bio fuels. (and lol..wind power!) Try driving to work with solar panels!

who cares - I will not vote for him and all my friends and family wll not vote for him. Obama changes like chameleon

if he senses the public don't like his stance..... he'll DISTANCE himself.

Apparently he is willing to DISTANCE himself from anything and/or anyone - even himself!

If that is the same oil which is used in fried chicken. I'd say no way!!!!!!!!!!!

SWITCHGRASS WOULD WORK BETTER