Why does my van shake when I hit the brakes?

I just got a new transmission put in. The mechanic said that I would need suspension work soon.

The car drives with no problem, however when I hit the brakes, the van rattles as if I'm driving on a bumpy road.

My tires are still good.

Favorite Answer

There could be several reasons for this.The first is warped brake discs,which when the brakes are applied you tend to get steering wheel wobble and vibrations through the vehicle.If this is the case,new brake discs and pads.Seeing's you mentioned suspension,depending on the vehicle,steering joints ,lower arm inner bushes and similar could be to blame.With suspension faults you tend not to get the steering wheel wobble or vibration.Good luck.

sounds like u need rotor or drum resufacing,if u had brake work in the past,and the mech didnt change your rotors or resurface them,then ur car would pulsate when u come to a stop.check your tires also for scalloped or cupped tires,this also can send your car out of alignment..finally if rootors check out,and tires are ok,u may have a wheel bearing failure.all your car/van weight drives on bearings located in the hub..jack the wheel and position hands at 6 and 12 o clock,there should b ..001 of an inch movement only,if your wheek moves excessively u gott a wheel bearing failure,change imeediatlely!hope this helps!

Source(s): ase cert tech 11 years!

Front brake rotors need to be cut or replaced, but this usually causes a pulsating pedal. The rear brake drums are out of round. Check all the brakes.

Sounds like brakes to me.

Your brake rotors / drums are warped.

===

Get a brake job and get new rotors/drums - or get them resurfaced.

Good Luck..

I would check brake discs/rotors if I were you.