Is there significance to placing a penny on a fire hydrant?

I was recently in New York City where I witnessed something that I found interesting. I saw an elderly man place a penny on the top of a fire hydrant and leave it there. The man was Jewish (I don't know if that has any significance or not - it may not matter). I thought it may be a cultural custom or perhaps something done for luck.

Does this have any significance or was it just something random that one person does?

Best Answer

Umm...I'd say he was crazy. lol.

A hose is attached to the fire hydrant, then the valve is opened to provide a powerful source of water, on the order of 350 kPa (50 lbf/in²) (this pressure varies according to region and depends on various factors including the size and location of the attached water main). This hose can be further attached to a fire engine, which can then use a powerful pump to boost the water pressure and possibly split it into multiple streams. The hose may be connected with a threaded connection or a Storz connector. Care should be taken not to open or close a fire hydrant too quickly, as this can create a water hammer which can damage nearby pipes and equipment. The water inside a charged hoseline causes it to be very heavy and high water pressure causes it to be stiff and unable to make a tight turn while pressurized. When a fire hydrant is unobstructed, this is not a problem, as there is enough room to adequately position the hose. Clapper valveMost fire hydrant valves are not designed to throttle the water flow; they are designed to be operated full-on or full-off. The valving arrangement of most dry-barrel hydrants is for the drain valve to be open at anything other than full operation. Usage at partial-opening can consequently result in considerable flow directly into the soil surrounding the hydrant, which, over time, can cause severe scouring . A hose with a closed nozzle valve, or fire truck connection, or closed gate valve is always attached to the hydrant prior to opening the hydrant's main valve. When a Firefighter is operating a hydrant, appropriate Personal protective equipment, such as gloves and a helmet with face shield, are typically worn. High pressure water coursing through a potentially aging and corroding hydrant could cause a failure, injuring the firefighter operating the hydrant or bystanders. Chicago police car parked illegally in front of a fire hydrant. Note the yellow line on the curb by the hydrant.In most jurisdictions it is illegal to park a car within a certain distance of a fire hydrant. In North America the distances are commonly 3 to 5 m or 10 to 15 ft, often indicated by yellow or red paint on the curb. In the UK, yellow lines are used to keep cars from parking over underground hydrants. Parking restrictions are sometimes ignored (especially in cities where available street parking is scarce), however these laws are usually enforced. The rationale is that hydrants need to be visible and accessible in an emergency.

Interesting. I never have heard of this before, and cant find anything online. Maybe he didnt want the penny, and didnt want to litter. lol

Elderly people sometimes do strange things. Definitely nothing to do with religion.

He probably was a terrorist. Contact the authorities.

I have no idea. It might be part of a luck ritual or something.