Allregic reaction to insect bites while pregnant!!?

Hello there,

I went to the country this past weekend and woke up with huge red lesions on my body which appear to be blackfly bites. They are extremely swollen and painfully itchy! I am also covered in mosquito bites, which I am partially allergic to (or was anyhow). I am 37 weeks pregnant and I really don't need the added discomfort of being covered in bug bites! When I was young I was very allergic to mosquitoes and was wondering if a lower immune system as a result of pregnancy could increse reactions to insect bites. Also, I really need to know if anyone has ever experienced this while pregnant and what they did. I'm extremely uncomfortable and will probably be up tossing and turning all week now because of this. Any advice? I've tried most topical creams and nothing works at all. Benadryl pills would be my next option but I can't take medication because I'm pregnant. :( Unless there is a medication that's safe for pregnant women? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

• N F
    Favorite Answer

When I was pregnant I saw stung by a bee. Within minutes my throat closed and I went into shock. I was taken to the hospital and treated. I almost died. I couldn't believe it.

I had been stung a dozen times as a kid. I had more mosquito bites over the years than there were stars in the skies. However, when I was pregnant, I seemed very sensitive to all kinds of bug bites.

The doctors said that because your immune system changes and you're producing different antibodies while pregnant, your reaction to bites can be very different.

I was miserable for most of that spring and a good part of the summer. I empathize with you.

Don't use any meds or even topical creams, etc. without consulting with your doctor. Here are some home remedies for itchy bites. Again just check with your doc first:

Take a bath in one can of evaporated milk; you can add other combinations such as oatmeal, baking soda etc. The milk works well to soothe the itching. Also, a paste made from oatmeal and put on the bites seems to work.

Apply witch hazel to the itchy area.

Cornstarch helps relieve itching. You can pour some into your bath water or dust it onto your body.

Scrub the affected area lightly with a pumice stone. Then wash with soap, apply rubbing alcohol, and dab a thick layer of Vaseline over it. This will provide relief from itching.

Baking soda can be used in cool bath water to soothe other skin irritations and alleviate itching from prickly heat, bee stings, insect bites, and other minor skin ailments. Again, a paste made from baking soda and applied to bites helps a lot.

The good news is: I've been stung a few times since and didn't have a bad reaction.

Be well and good luck.

OH NO!!!! Your child will become a bug!!!!

I'm just kidding... You should try talking to your doctor, he may have better advice than punk kids like me saying stuff like that ^^ on yahoo answers.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you :)

that is because it is like going through puberty a second time wait to menopause that is a third time.