Jordan
Jordan asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Betta Help? (Again:p)?

Today, an idea just came to me. I was at home depot and I passed the rain gutter section. I looked at the kind that you place on the edge of your roof that have the open tops and then the thought came to me, Betta tank.

I have some ideas to adjust it so it would be suitable for a betta though, obviously I wouldn't just fill a rain gutter with water and expect a betta to live in it.

First, I would cut a long strip it into 4 pieces, then use 4 of the curved pieces to attach them to make a square.

Each piece is only about 4 in tall and 4 in wide. Would a betta be comfortable in these surroundings?

I know what everyone is thinking, heating and filtration. For this I would take two of those 10-gallon clear bins with the blue lids that you can store almost anything in and stick them on opposite sides of the "aquarium". I would put a filter and heater in one of them, and leave the other one filled with water. Then I would cut the gutter and the bins so they would connect. I would connect...

…them using a 100% non-toxic sealant.

I know how bettas don’t like fast flowing water, so they can avoid this section and swim in the other 10-gallon or gutter.

For substrate I would just use the left over 40 pounds of pool filter sand I have left over from using it on my actual 10-gallon aquarium. I would only use a ¼ - ½ inch layer of sand in the gutters but a 2-inch layer in the bins.

Obviously lighting this thing would cost me a sh!t load so I just wouldn’t. It will be in an area that gets natural light, not directly in front of a window though. Therefore, the only plants I would consider growing are java moss and fern, unless you have any other suggestions?

I thought that this would be a waste for one betta though. So I thought of some tank mate possibilities. I definitely want a school of corydoras because I love looking at them from the top. The only other fish would be a school of cardinal or neon tetras. What do you think? I want your opinions, and sorry for the length!!!

Also, I think this “aquarium” is kind of sounding a bit ugly, can anyone think of any ideas to make it look nicer?

Fish Guy - No, I meant that the gutters are 4 inches tall and wide, but there would still be the 10 gallon bins for it to travel in.

Favorite Answer

I kind of got lost in your idea and how you would connect it and something about sand(?!), but I don't think a betta would even really try or want to swim in something that is only 4 inches tall, high, etc. Maybe you could get pieces that are a little bit taller than that and do this idea, but since bettas don't prefer fast-flowing water, they wouldn't even swim in the other tank, so the whole tube thing would be useless anyway right? I don't know, it just seems like a lot of work to just "test out" and it might not even work. If you try it, I suggest getting pieces that are taller than that for the betta and other fish to swim through. Hope that helps. Sorry and good luck!

Source(s): Me and my 6 bettas :)

I think it is a good idea, except when you said each piece is only 4 in. tall did you mean the tank is that tall, because if it is a betta WOULD NOT survive, it's way too short.

Thats an essay long, too much to read lolz, anyway, 10 gallons very big for betta, they used to live in soiled water, thus they can live in a poor environment. Strong filter is not recommended, it can easily absorb its fin.