Just wondering about alimony...?

When my mom remarried, my dad was no longer liable to pay her any alimony. But if my dad had remarried first, would he still have had to continue paying alimony? Does it make sense to be supporting (essentially) two wives?

@cindy w: yes, my parents were both Catholic, and that's what we're supposed to believe, but funny thing is, my *mom* was the initiator of the divorce, and she's the one who claims to be more religious. Anyway, my dad, who must have cursed God every day for the rest of his life, never even thought of remarrying. Just goes to show what some "true Christians" are like.

Oh, and when mom did remarry, my dad continued paying alimony as well as the child support, figuring that it wouldn't be right if he just gave child support while my mom has to support a jobless new husband on the pittance that should be going to my youngest brothers.

Favorite Answer

yes he would have. it is an archaic system to say the least.

• Steven

He has to pay alimony until she remarries. If he does to bad for him.

But he still has to pay child support. So when the alimony goes the child support is raised so it is the same thing.

If he remarried a different woman he would still be obligated to pay alimony to his ex wife!

Source(s): sui

Yes, your dad would STILL have had to pay alimony----the reality is in God's eyes your parents are still joined together. Now, they are in adulterous relationships. Pray for them. Alimony is a minor issue compared to adultery.

http://www.cadz.net/mdr.html

http://www.marriagedivorce.com

If your dad marries another woman and had PRIOR OBLIGATIONS before taking new marriage vowels, than yes he has to support two wives.

yes he would still have to pay .... the only reason he was able to stop paying after she re-married is because her situation has changed

yes, i know that sucks!!!