Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

if i get a cat litter box with a lid will it be hard to clean out the poop?

my dog alway sniffs around and then starts to eat the litter box litter so people say i should have a lid on top of the litter box but if i do buy one of thoese will it be hard to clean?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • J C
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Some cats refuse to use a covered litter box as even if kept clean it offends their sensitive sense of smell (think port-a-john in the middle of summer). A covered box may or may not keep your dog out of it. Things like baby gates, cat flaps, elevating the litter box off the floor etc may work depending on the size of your dog.

Source(s): Many years of cat rescue
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have a kind with a lid. It comes off. And it's amazing. It keeps all the smells trapped inside (there's a filter on top) so the whole room doesn't stink after they poo. And if you're using a good litter, it'll absorb the smell so it doesn't smell like a port-a-pot. Whoever said that has obviously not used this type of litter box. Plus, your cat can't flick litter all over the floor while he/she is digging or burrying. It's a good investment. We got one from petsmart for like $28. It's not just a lid you buy-- it's a whole litter box, top and bottom, and they come apart very easily and come in several colors.

• 1 decade ago

No way it is just the same. The lid comes off easy. It also keeps the litter in the box too, and your cat may feel like it has more privacy lol. Hope this helps.

Source(s): I have one!!!
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have that box with the lid

Not really, just take out the lid and take out the poop

Than put it back

Its much better because it doesn't cause a mess with all the litter flying out from the regular cat boxes

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

“Always scoop litter boxes at LEAST once a day, and change the litter at least once a week. When cleaning the box, use a mild detergent and finish by rinsing very thoroughly. Never use strong-smelling pine cleansers or ammonia. If you want to disinfect the box with bleach, dilute it with water first. Rinsing the box with boiling water is also effective. With covered cat boxes, the smell can be worse, especially with high humidity, so you must be willing to clean it more.”

Source(s): Twisted Whiskers by Pam Johnson <--- Great book I recommend
  • 1 decade ago

No. The lid lifts right off. But the dog may be able to push it off easily, too.

Could you put the litter box up on top of a table or shelf where the dog can't get to it?

• 1 decade ago

The lids come off. I have one, and it is awesome. Keeps the sand in... and the animals... kids out. Also it helps with some of the smell if you have the filter thing in there!

good luck!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.