Should I quit tap dancing?

My new tap teacher is really mean and she told us that the tap teacher we had before was not a good teacher, and everything she taught us was wrong. She basically told me that I'm bad at tap, she pushes us harder than we should be pushed.

What do you think I should do? Should I quit or not?

Favorite Answer

NO! Don't quit! I was in your situation a few years ago. Our old tap teacher had quit and we got a new one. He was meaaaan. He never yelled at me, but he yelled at pretty much everyone else in the class. He made two girls run out of the room crying that year. I couldn't stand him. He only stayed around for two years (so basically two recitals) before he left to start his own studio.

Now that I look back at it he made us improve soooo much because he was very strict. And when I look back at my past tap routines the best ones are the two that he choreographed. Sometimes you need a strict teacher and to be pushed harder in order to improve. Trust me, your new tap teacher may be mean, but by the end of the year you may be thanking her for it. :)

Don't quit something you love just because of your teacher! If that was the case then I would never have finished high school since most of my teachers were horrible! You just have ignore it, grow from it, and get on her good side.

Source(s): From experience. And I've been tap dancing for 10 years.

There is a difference between a teacher pushing you to be better and one just pushing. Every teacher will have a different style. No teacher should ever discourage a student and ceryainly not be negative toward their dancing. Remember it is the love of the dance and the heart behind it that is the most important!

I wouldn't quit tap. I have been in your "tap shoes" and got some of that same treatment :). It can be tough to stick it out especially with a not so nice teacher. I actually ended up going to a new studio (as I had that option), one that was VERY encouraging. It was hard to leave my friends but if I had stayed, I may have quit tap myself!

By the way I am a tap teacher :)

Happy tapping!

Don't quit. Push harder and get better. When the new teacher finally praises you, it will mean so much more to you.

The fact of the matter is, in the real world not everyone is nice and not everyone is going to coddle you. You have to be willing to take criticism and learn from it, be stronger.

Good luck!

No way don't quit. You'll regret it later. It sounds like she knows what she's talking about, and even if she's not the nicest person, she just wants you to be a better tap dancer.

Source(s): tapped for 5 years

Why not try other types of dancing like Salsa?

Do carry on with tap dancing or you can change directions doing different types of dances

Really it is up to you... if you dont like the way she teaches then maybe you should find a new one. But sometimes it is good to have a strict teacher.

na just get another teacher if you can if no then stay because if she pushes you harder you will become better at it so i say just pay attention and u'll be dancing with the stars(maybe, it's ur decision)

Source(s): me!

NO trust me sometimes the mean teacher make you who you are and who u will become she wants you to try harder and become better

Don't quit, just find another teacher - one with good people skills!

if you really love it, don't quit. prove her wrong. i had a ballet teacher like that... ugh. but i didn't really like ballet that much.

i love tap dancing.