Does anyone have any tips on how to Go Green?

I want to be more helpful to the enviroment.

Favorite Answer

Going green is easy, there are so many great resources about the subject. My personal favorite is "The Green Book" which has parts of its book online as well at www.readthegreenbook.com.

As I have been striving to "Go Green" I realize it is like stepping back in time without getting rid of my modern conveniences. I'm doing many things I learned as a child, like line drying my clothes, sweeping instead of vacuuming, opening the windows in the morning to catch the cool breeze, only buying what I need instead of everything that looks cool, growing some of my own food, and canning what I can't eat now.

To me "going Green" is a frame of mind. Do what fits your lifestyle and do the easy things first, it is a process and like dieting if you go to radical to soon, you are more likely to go back to bad habits. I also believe there are good, better, best choices in most things. If you aren't ready to start a home garden, then try finding a farmers market, until you locate one look for produce grown as close to home as possible and go organic when available.

Many people think "going green" is expensive, I disagree. Some changes may take an initial investment, but they usually have a short payoff time. Things like weatherstiping and insulation cost, but the energy savings will add up quickly. You may need to purchase reusable bags, but most stores give you a 5 or 10 cent credit, so you are paid back within a few months.

My top tips are make your home more energy efficient, that also means using natural light, cooling and heating.

Reduce your packaging, if you eat more fresh food you will generally reduce packaging, it's the same thing they tell dieters, shop the perimiter, that is where all the meat, dairy and produce are located. Only buy what you will use, many Americans throw away a lot of unused food. Buy in bulk, that doesn't just mean large packages, but that area with the bins that you buy only what you plan on using.

Replace disposable items with durable items, if you eat outside often and use disposable paper or plastic plates, it is a wise investment to purchase a set of reusable plastic plates. Replace disposable razors, diapers and cleaning products like swiffer. Avoid bottled water, get a home filter like Pur or Brita.

Recycle, www.earth911.org will help you locate the nearest recycle center. I try to only purchase plastics that are #1 or #2, they are more easily recycled. I also buy recycled products when available, that includes paper towels, napkings, toilet paper, tissue, school/office supplies and clothing.

Detox your cleaning, vinegar and baking soda clean almost anything, they can even losen a hair clog. Seventh Generation and Method are a couple mainstream brands that are very earth friendly.

Just start small and build from there, don't get overwhelmed.

Find a local Freecycle group. They are on Yahoo groups. When buying new, use the ideas below. If it has already been produced why not re-use it. Freecycle groups let you post what you want and if someone else in the group has that item lying around, they can give it to you. The same works if you have stuff you don't want and willing to to give it away. This reduces the amount of stuff that ends up in the landfield.

Here is a cool idea. After joining a group, attempt to finish a room in your house completely from Freecycling. I bet you would be surprised what you could do.

Here are some good websites with lots of easy green living tips:

http://www.idealbite.com/

http://www.greenissexy.org/

http://www.lime.com/

http://www.treehugger.com/gogreen.php

http://www.nrdc.org/greenliving/

Some of the most important things you can do:

Walk or bike whenever possible

Turn off lights, appliances, electronics, and water faucets when you aren't using them

Eat locally grown, organic food as much as possible (or plant an organic garden of your own)

Become a vegetarian or vegan, or eat animal products that are labelled "grass-fed" (red meat and dairy) or "pastured" (eggs and chicken)

Recycle

Focus on quality, not quantity, when buying most consumer goods, and don't buy stuff you don't need

Plant trees, shrubs, and flowers native to your region to attract birds, butterflies, and other wildlife

I'm building a blog at:

http://www.thegreenbuckstopshere.com/

It's dedicated to easy and cheap or free ways to go green that also save money. There's also a category called "Your ideas here" so anyone can add what they have done. There is no registration or password required. The blog is new but it's growing every day.

Mimi

• Olive

Great! There are a lot of small things you can do to get started, here are a few:

Use a cloth grocery bag

Walk/bike or use public transportation as much as possible

Turn off the lights and unplug appliances when not in use

Recycle, recycle!

Use a nalgene or siggs bottle instead of buying water bottles and if you have to buy a plastic bottle, recycle! =)

Visit treehugger.com for more great tips! ^^

Just use your brain think that is

.

And us humans have this knack of finding out how to do anything

.

From inventing the wheel to how to fly an airplane

.

So how to keep things around the home on the save the world list of things should not be all that hard to do

.

Just look in your trash can for starters

.

I have a small website that I have started a few months ago about living and going green. Being in an environmental background in university, i have some knowledge on this issue. check out my site!

Source(s): www.ecojudge.com
  • Lee J

Here are some ideas for 'going green' :

We should seize Al Gore's multi-kilo square foot mansion that consumes more energy than 20 average American homes, and use the money to further research into nuclear fusion technology.

Then we could seize Al Gore's boat, that burns more fuel per hour than four family sedans, and use the money to further clean coal technology.

We could also seize Al Gore's Gulfstream private jet that consumes more fuel flying one-way across the country than a Hummer consumes in an entire year, and use the savings to fund programs to make older homes more energy efficient.

Sounds like a good start to me.

Recycle

Have the most fuel efficient car you can.

Walk to your nearby errands, you will put out a lot less carbon dioxide than your car, plus it good exercise.

Turn your thermostat up and your water heater down.

When buying appliances try to get energystar appliances.

Go Vegetarian, it requires a lot more energy to feed cattle than to grow plants.

Keep you tires inflated to their proper level, it will save you gas too.

Turn off you TV or Stereo when not in the room.

Change your filters and spark plugs on your cars.

Try to buy locally produced products, less transportation equals less pollution.

Go organic.

Buy products with as much post-consumer recycled packaging as possible. It will show it on the side.

There are many things you can do to live green and some are very inexpensive too!

~Of course, recycle everything you can! (Ex: cans, bottles, plastics, paper, ect.)

~Buy energy saving light bulbs

~Buy things like clothes, paper, ect that are made from recycled materials

~Use reusable batteries or recycle dead batteries properly

~Use reusable shopping bags

~If you have plastic shopping bags, use them instead of just tossing them. They can be used to pick up dog poo, line small trash cans, ect.

~Try not to use paper napkins or paper towel as much as possible. Instead use cloth napkins that can be washed.

~Try to use fewer paper plates and more washable ones.

~Take shorter showers

~Turn off lights whenever possible

~Try to buy more organic foods and local foods (for example, at a farmer's market)

~Use regular silverware, not plastic

~Use eco friendly products in replace of regular dish washing liquids, house cleaners, ect. (Greenworks)

~Use cold water to wash clothes (Tide Cold water works great)

~On a nice day, turn off the air/heat and open some windows. You save of the cost, get a nice fresh breeze, and help the environment.

~Plant trees around your house to shade and save on using more air conditioning

~Buy one stainless steel, reusable, water bottle instead of using regular plastic ones and then getting rid of them. This one you can clean and use over and over again!

~Change the setting on your sprinklers to use less water

~Buy eco friendly fertilizers (I think they have them at Home Depot)

~Buy or lease a hybrid if possible

~Walk or ride a bike wherever possible

~Carpool if possible

These are just a few ideas I can think of, but you can also go to www.gogreen.com for some more tips. Good luck :)