Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 1 decade ago

The muscle in my neck hurts a lot and I can't turn my head to the left, what is the problem or what can I do

Yesterday morning I woke up at 6am with a terrible pain on the left side of my neck, I could barely get out of bed without it hurting! Now I can't look up or turn my head to the left without the pain stopping me in my tracks. What do you think it is? I think it's because I started weight lifting again (the same thing happened 2 years ago) and the muscles are tense and stuff. My mother thinks that it's because I'm on the computer all the time and it's messing up my neck so I've been off the computer except for now to ask this question. Do you know of anything I can do to help my neck relax and feel better or do I just have to wait it out?

Unfortunately, I can't go see a doctor because I don't have health insurance and that visit would be well over $90, which I don't have at the moment. D: Any help would be appreciated.

Best Answer

You strained a muscle, you need to gently stretch it. Take a shower and let your neck get warm, and gently roll your head to one side and then the other. When you feel the pain the hold it in that position for about 20 seconds. Then roll the head all the way around again. Hold on each side for 20 seconds. Do this every morning and you should be fine. You can always take ibuprofen as well. To calm the muscle and prevent swelling.

Source(s): Personal trainer

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axHOG

Hi, I am in physio right now for whiplash to my neck. The doc tells me that the cracking sound I hear when I turn my neck is because the muscles are tight. So when I turn and use the areas that are inflammed or irritated, I hear the crack sounds. You need to put ice not heat on your neck as heat with swelling is bad. You need ice to reduce the swelling. I am not a doc, but based on what you said, I suspect you had a lot of tension in your neck, and as a result, you must have pulled an already irritated area in your neck. Ice is the best remedy. If it really hurts, then go ask doc for some pain medication. There is no quick fix to this problem. You can go see a chiropractor and he could "twist" your neck and possibly move things around to make you comfortable, but in the end, ice and time are your only solutions. Hope this helps you out. STAY AWAY FROM HEAT... that is the worst thing for it.

Weight lifting will do it alright. Apply warmth to the area and massage it gently. The warmth should bring a lot of relief. If you don't have a heating pad, soak in a nice warm tub and toss in some Epsom Salts if you can. So soothing... If you are really in pain you may wish to take Motrin or other pain reliever to take the edge off. It should be better by tomorrow and for sure in a couple days. Best wishes♥

(Make sure you are warmed up before you start lifting the weights. If this continues to happen, you may also wish to invest in a new pillow. They have some specifically designed for neck pain)

Source(s): Health Clerk

Turn My Head

It's a kink.. They hurt if you sleep wrong.. Get some tylonol and ice the left side of your neck.. Then roll your neck around when the ice has frozen your neck a bit.. :)

Source(s): Got a really bad kink last year..
  • heogog

You have probably pulled a muscle or two in your neck. I recommend taking motrin or aleve and using a heating pad to reduce the stiffness.

sometimes when you sleep "wrong", you end up with a stiff neck.

Source(s): RN

Probably sore. might be from too much strain rest it for alittle. dont force it to move you might also want ot look into stretches for the surrounding muscles like the trapezius those will be painful at first but it will pay off.

this happened to me too, but it was because i slept wrong and my neck stated to hurt and i couldn't really move it.