Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 decade ago

Closing the lid of my laptop...

I want to set my Acer laptop (with Vista) to hibernate when I shut the lid, and automatically start up again when I open the lid again.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

From

http://www.realtime-vista.com/administration/2007/...

Vista Power Plan Settings

You get some pretty granular control over power features in Vista. Check this out:

Navigate to: Control Panel > Power Options > Edit Plan Settings

Then click “Change advanced power settings”.

You can choose what power plan you wish to view/edit and if you want to make changes, most require that you first hit the “Change settings that are currently unavailable” link to run as administrator.

This view of the power plan lets you see and edit most every aspect of how power-related features are to be exercised on your system. Here is what you’ll find...

Note: for all of these you can dictate separate criteria for when running on batteries and when plugged in for power.

Additional Settings > Require a password on wakeup: <Yes or No>

Hard Disk > Turn off hard disk after: <# of minutes>

Wireless Adapter Settings > Power Saving Mode <select power plan>

Sleep > Sleep after: <# of minutes>

Sleep > Hibernate after <# of minutes>

USB Settings > USB selective suspend setting <enabled or disabled>

Power buttons and lid > Lid close action: <Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Shutdown>

Power buttons and lid > Power button action: <Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Shutdown>

Power buttons and lid > Start menu power button: <Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Shutdown>

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

To set it to hibernate, right-click your battery icon in the system tray and click "Power Options", or go to Control Panel > Mobile PC > Power Options. On the right side of the window, you will see an option that says "Choose what closing the lid does." Click that, then select "Hibernate" from the menus for "When I close the lid."

The bad news: you CANNOT have the computer come back from hibernation automatically when you open the lid again. Hibernation moves your application data to your hard drive and basically shuts down completely - the computer won't be able to detect that the lid is open if it's not turned on. The "sleep" option is a little better, but only because you can press a key or the power button to get the computer to resume quickly.

• 1 decade ago

IN Windows XP you should go to Control Panel - Power Settings - Actions - When I close the lid... in Vista should be something similar.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.