Aircraft mechanics, how to become one

I'm interested in being an aircraft mechanic. iv always wanted to be a pilot as a career, i started lessons a while ago and realise its really hard. i still really want to fly but just not as much of a career. so, i still want to work in aviation, another category in that id like to work with is engineering. i... show more I'm interested in being an aircraft mechanic. iv always wanted to be a pilot as a career, i started lessons a while ago and realise its really hard. i still really want to fly but just not as much of a career.
so, i still want to work in aviation, another category in that id like to work with is engineering. i realise there are engine mechanics and airframe, the one i have a major interest in would be airframe.
so
could i get a job for an airline, working on airframes doing engineering type work. depending on the pay and work, i might decide to become an aeronautical engineer.
what can you tell me, like the type of work, the people, the money (both for a qualified engineer and a mechanic). and, how do i become one. would there be aprentiships that may even offer a payed uni degree.
im in australia if it helps.
Update: are you an engineer or just mechanic? the thing about the government being all over you when something goes wrong is one everybody knows about. you just forgot to add the media... you didnt burst any bubles, i just wana know what im gonna do, il stick to being a pilot for the mean time, im only 16 so theres... show more are you an engineer or just mechanic?
the thing about the government being all over you when something goes wrong is one everybody knows about. you just forgot to add the media...

you didnt burst any bubles, i just wana know what im gonna do, il stick to being a pilot for the mean time, im only 16 so theres room for error. i guess, some Airliners pilots may beg to differ.
3 answers 3