Is this really racist?

I'm talking about the Spanish Olympic basketball team, posing for a group photo (see the article: http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/blog/four... )

I think the photo says "We're going Chinese!", that's all. And everyone knows that slanted eyes is a very distinctive feature of Chinese (although, other peoples have slanted eyes as well). It's not as if they are putting down people with slanted eyes, are they?

Any of you Chinese out there feel offended? I am part Chinese, and get mistaken for Chinese/Japanese, especially when I remove my glasses, and I find it funny, not offensive, that people mistake me for my slanted eyes.

• zaza
    Favorite Answer

I'm Asian and I don't find it offensive but I can kinda see why some people would see it as racist.

I'll admit - when I first saw the photo it made me a little sad that people would do that. But after reading the article, I don't think they were intending racism. I'm half Asian and people did this to me all the time when I was young so I find it offensive. But I do realize that what some do out of cruelty others might do for a less offensive reason. People get offended off of unintentional things all the time. This isn't the first or the last example.

I also respect that they didn't apologize for it. If they really felt they did no wrong, then they shouldn't apologize. A forced apology is worse than no apology at all.

I'm not asian but I find it offensive and in bad taste.

After reading that they are doing it to promote the fact that they are being sponsored for a further four years by a Chinese company, I really think they could have advertised it in a better way. Having the company's logo somewhere in the photo would have been good enough.

Uhm I admit that is offending..Maybe they thought is a joke?

oh well, they probably talk about us too.I hope people can get over that.

Just see it as a joke.the World is highly sensitive but take a joke once in a while.

• Music

I don't think it's offensive but my boyfriend says I'm racist towards asians so my opinion probably doesn't matter.

oh who cares! People make such a big deal over stupid things like this. We all realize Asians have slanted eyes

• coombe

Wow. it is definitely extreme. people merely presume that your profile image is meant to to look comparable to you. i understand precisely the way you sense. My subject is vice versa, i take advantage of white profile photos often yet i'm honestly black. they are the two utilising undemanding sense and are not pondering this decision or are randomly guessing.

i guess it's kind of racist but it's funny also. pretty much everything is funny, to some extent. if it isn't then people are taking themselves too seriously.

• Im not asian, but that is pretty offensive

well im spanish i dont think thats racist