Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

Does having a closed in litter pan effect training?

I have been trying to train my baby rats since Thursday. They were pooping in one spot so I put the litter pan there. Then they were pooping in front of the litter pan so the training wasn't working.

Do you think the fact that the litter pan has a lid could be effecting this, it kind of looks like a house. I can remove the lid so its just the bottom half if I have to.

If not what can I do?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If it has a lid & looks like a house, most likely the rats will consider it a nesting box/sleeping area instead of a place to go potty in.

Try to remove the lid, see if that works.

Personally, I just got a corner litter pan for my male rats' cage, and for the most part (95% of the time) they use it without accidents. :) You can see it here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paintedrain/276600428...

• 1 decade ago

remove it litter pan lid so that they no its safe then after a few days if they start using it put it back on and see if they still use it if not just leave it off

• 1 decade ago

I'd try that first and see if that works. Then i'd try different types of litter pans.

How old are they? I love ratlets!

Source(s): 13 rats
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.