My CD burner doesn't work!?

My computer can burn CDs and DVDs, but when I put the DVD-R in, it appears it's already used, why? It is something wrong with my burner or is it the computer's problem? Or anything else's problem?

Favorite Answer

make sure your drivers for the drive are up to date and installed correctly

if the computer is manufactured by a brand e.g. toshiba, dell, acer etc..

go to their support websites respectively and find your model and then download the driver for the DVD drive

if its not a braded make then find out the make and model of the DVD drive and download the drivers from their website

if you get stuck or need further help email me edwardtrickett@live.co.uk

Most likely culprit is a bad CD burner.

It could be non compatable CD/DVD-Rs, some brands play nicer than others with burners but if they worked in the past then that's not so likely

could be (but unlikely) a hard drive problem. If you are getting a lot of freeze ups, crashes as well that could be a sign that the HD is going bad.

Make sure all your drivers and firmware are up to date and if the CDs still won't burn and if everything else is fine then you most likely need to get a new CD/DVD burner

Source(s): I have been a custom PC builder for 2 years and have built over 70 PCs for use in the music industry, gaming and video editing as well as machines for normal home ue

It could be a piece of software you have installed, or you have bad drivers. The first thing I would do is re-install the drivers for the burner. I also read somewhere that the disc reader could be dirty, but I would try re-installing the drivers first thing. Hope this helps.